Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE in the pool. is it safe to swim?

1. Back To Top    #1

DE in the pool. is it safe to swim?

Hi all. new pool owner. still haven't figured out all the ins and outs. We only bought the house a month ago and don't know the rest of the pool details.
    we have an above ground pool with a DE pump/filter 48sq ft. I was backwashing and added the needed amount of DE to the skimmer. all was going well when my husband (did not know I backwashed) tried to drain a bit of the water. set the pump to drain and forgot to open the drain valve. I realized what he did, came in and turned the pump back on filter thinking it would all be fine. all the DE shot into the pool. I have been vacuuming it up and added some more DE to the skimmer to make sure the filter got enough, but is there anything else I need to worry about? is the water safe to swim in?
    thank you

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE in the pool. is it safe to swim?

Welcome to TFP.

Sounds like you've done the right thing. If the FC is in range for your CYA then the DE being in the pool won't affect the safety of the pool for swimming.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

thank you. I meant to say we have an in ground pool. I am assuming that doesn't change the answer.

4. Back To Top    #4

You're right. It doesn't change the answer!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit