Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: your chlorine routine?

1. Back To Top    #1

your chlorine routine?

Hello,
    I use bleach to chlorinate my hot tub. I did the dichlor then bleach method to get my CYA to 30 and now I'm sailing with the bleach. But lately I have been noticing that my hot tubbing routine (or rather lack their of) is making my maintenance difficult. The trouble is that sometimes I hot tub first thing when I get up. Then I add bleach, but then the next day I might not hot tub until before bed, so then my FC is out of wack. Basically, I don't think my method of 'adding bleach when I use it' is working. I'm wondering what your chlorine routines are? I'm guessing I can't pair the maintenence of my hot tub with the usage.
    16' x 48" intex ultra frame above ground pool 5000g
    one speed Filter Pump with 1,500 gallon (5,678 L) per hour flow rate
    340g FreeFlow Solstice Spa, 1.5 hp two speed pump, 50 sq ft. filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: your chlorine routine?

I have a AGP I check and add mine at night after the sun has went down. I do it about the same time every day no matter if we used the pool or not. Seems to work for me.
    24ft x 52in Round AGP Heritage pool Aquamaster 19 in sand filter & 1 hp pump. Clear Solar blanket 12 Mil. TF-100 Test Kit. Pool filled June 3rd 2013 well water.

3. Back To Top    #3

There is adding chlorine after a soak in large enough amounts to handle the bather load and then there's adding chlorine in between soaks to handle background demand. The latter can be done at a regular time each day. The only times you don't have to do that are if you soak every day in which case the dosing after each soak can handle the background.

Technically, you can always increase your dosing and it will last longer -- usually you can get to two days if you don't have an ozonator since the background loss is usually around 25%. With an ozonator, however, the background loss is usually 50% or higher so it's much harder to go more than 24 hours without additional dosing.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

how about an ozonator cutoff switch? what would be the downside?
    48,000 litre (12680 gal); Hayward 24" Sand Filter; Zodiac/Clearwater LM3-24 SWG
    Inground Q-Quartz/Quartzon Plaster; 0.75HP Pump; 62 GPM filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Such a switch would be ideal as it would give you control. I saw that you asked in this post if anyone has done this in. Let's see if anyone has or knows how to do it.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

killereese,

I have created your own thread....do not post into others....it confuses everyone.

If you can't find your questions and thread I put your username in the title. YOu can search for it in "google forum search" above the "Pool School" button on the top right of your screen.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School