Pool Re-Plumbing

May 8, 2007
Nashville, TN
I am starting a renovation this fall where I am replacing my decking, liner, plumbing and adding an SWG. My system is pretty simple with 2 returns, skimmer and suction port. I was planning to run 2" pvc everywhere I can. Any thoughts on the plumbing layout? Any tips on doing the plumbing? I have done some minor plumbing but this is a much bigger job than I have tackled before? Where is the best place for the SWG? I was thinking between the union and the T from the skimmer/suction. I am replacing the skimmer as well. Does it matter much whether that is 1-1/2" or 2" and are there any advantages between them. Anything else I should consider while redoing the plumbing here?

Thanks,
Riles

You will reduce the head loss and increase the flow rate by using the larger 2" pipe .... especially on the suction lines. I would have a few suggestions for improvement to you diagram:

1. Use a pool 3-way valve instead of the two ball valves between the suction line. They work better, last longer, and could allow some automation in the future if so desired

2. Run both the returns separately to the equipment pad. As you have drawn you will have no control of the strength of the jets relative to each other. If you run them both back to the pad and have another 3-way (or two 2-way valves), you could use 1.5" pipe (since they will both be open) and you would have the ability to tailor the flow.

3. The SWG MUST!!! be the last piece of equipment before returning to the pool. Therefore it should be after the filter and before the valves for your returns.

Good points. I have revised the sketch as follows. A couple of follow-ups. First, you mentioned installing a 3-way valve for the returns. I like the idea of having more control, but can this sort of valve be open to all three directions at the same time? I would guess that my returns would run wide open most likely and I was picturing the 3-way valve as toggling between two directions. Maybe I am just misunderstanding that sort of valve. Also, would it be better for me to run 1.5" or 2" on the return side?

Think of the 3-way valves as allowing you to partially to fully close one of the pipes. If you do it like you drew (with the common pipe in the middle of the valve), then you can turn the valve so that both return lines are completely open ... or you could partially close one of them to force more flow to the other return.

Since you are only feeding one return with each line and most likely both will be at least partially open, there is no reason to go larger than 1.5" on the returns ... but I would go with 2" on the suction lines.

That will work. the 2/2.5" Means that a 2" pipe can be glued directly into the valve OR a 2.5" pipe can be attached with a 2.5" coupler to the outside of the valve.

I prefer the size valve that allows the pipe to glue directly inside as there is less head loss.

BTW, There are also 1.5/2" valves which would work, but like I said if you have 2" pipe, I would get the bigger valve.

Started replumbing this past weekend and made some good progress. A couple of questions though.

1) I had to lower my suction port since it was installed too high (mid-way up the skimmer). I drilled a new 3" hole and an appropriate location and then relocated the existing suction port. After doing so I was thinking I might as well replace that fitting. I have scoured online and can't seem to find this particular fitting. Anyone know where I can find this particular fitting?

2) Also excavated one return and the fitting that penetrated the wall of the pool was pretty stuck on so I left it there and plumbed into it via the threaded connection that was there. The pool side looks like it just has the eyeball faceplate which gets screwed into the connector with four screws pinching the liner. Is that correct? It doesn't seem like much of seal there. Is that correct? Also, I am better off just replacing the whole fitting through the wall?

3) Finally, I istalled the entire line from the suction port to the 3-way valve. I really want to pressure test the lines before I backfill the pipes. If anyone has some tips on rigging up something to pressure test that would be helpful. I am envisioning just a piece of PVC that I connect on the end with a coupld of threaded connections that I install a gauge and a valve to fill it with air. A picture would be very helpful if someone has one. Also, since I installed the entire suction line already can I pressure test through the 3-way valve, as I still have access that half. Or better yet, if there was a way to install the entire suction side and test all at once that would be preferred. I just couldn't figure out how to plumb it. Maybe I can just install the fill valve in a piece of PVC that just screws into the suction port on the pool side? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Riles

I know im a little late into this, but since you're replacing the liner and you've torn up the deck to do the replumbing, have you considered adding in a main drain as well?

Just saw your questions. I am afraid that I do not have any answers though as I have no experience with this type of work. Hopefully someone else can chime in and get you some help.

stebs said:
I know im a little late into this, but since you're replacing the liner and you've torn up the deck to do the replumbing, have you considered adding in a main drain as well?

I did consider it, but it seems like a lot of trouble and I wasn't sure I really needed it. I have lived without it since I bought the house so I guesss I don't really know what I am missing. I realized circulation would be better and maybe It would stay a bit cleaner. Any other reasons to add one? I am not opposed to a little extra work I just didn't see the return on that investment.

Riles

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is so little advantage (and some disadvantage) in a main drain, I would not consider it.

I have no idea what "suction fitting" you have.....got a pic?

Yes, you can reduce fittings to thread onto your pipe and then use a Schrader valve to pressurize the lines. Home depot or Lowe's usually has the combo of fittings you need.

In my eyes, I see the "suction port" as being for a cleaner or for vacuuming. Unless that's on all the time, then the only place the pump is drawing from is the skimmer. A main drain would add a second place to draw water from. Depending on what pump and filter the OP has, only drawing from the skimmer may not provide enough water to the pump IMO.

You want your suction lines to be as big as or bigger than your returns too...

Well, my pool ran fine with a giant 2HP single speed energy hog running through a single 1.5" suction line and a singe 1.5" return line. There is really no such thing as "not providing enough water" ... the pump will pull what it can. But, certainly larger pipe will allow it to move more water ... at added electrical expense.

The question ultimately is: How much water do you NEED to move? And really the only time this might be a factor is for shears or water jets or solar that have a minimum flow rate. Heaters and SWG also have a minimum flow rate, but they are pretty low.

I agree that the there is more to be gained as far as flow rate with larger suction line than a larger return line. But in this case I see no high flow needs that would require anything bigger than 2" on a single suction line.

stebs said:
In my eyes, I see the "suction port" as being for a cleaner or for vacuuming. Unless that's on all the time, then the only place the pump is drawing from is the skimmer. A main drain would add a second place to draw water from. Depending on what pump and filter the OP has, only drawing from the skimmer may not provide enough water to the pump IMO.

You want your suction lines to be as big as or bigger than your returns too...
A wall port acting as an equalizer line would solve that. On a single skimmer setup without a MD it helps prevent the pump from running dry when the skimmer fills up.

swimming-pool-skimmer.jpg

So I have already started to install 2" for the suction side, and 1-1/2" for the returns. No changing anything there now. I am replacing the skimmer and have not purchased another one yet. I was planning to purchase this week. Should I be getting one to install with this equalizer line? First I have heard of such a thing. It would require a skimmer with two connections (different than the one I planned to buy). I do have a vaccuum port that I am installing if that makes any difference. I do not run the vaccuum at the same time as the skimmer. It is either one or the other. I had all 1-1/2" plumbing before redoing it and I did not have any trouble. If going to 2" doesn't make this situation worse then I will probably just stay the course. Any thoughts?

Given that you only have the one suction line, having one of the skimmers with the equalizer line would not be a bad idea ... insurance against running the pump dry if the water level drops or the basket gets clogged. This would be independent of the vacuum port since you say you will run one or the other.

Going to 2" on the single suction line is a good idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.