What Exactly does “Pool Chlorinator 20%”?

Aug 29, 2010
Southern NH
I have a Goldline (Hayward) Pro Logic system. I have generally been able to properly control my chlorine by adjusting the “Pool Chlorinator %” setting.

But, I am confused about what it means. I thought it meant 20% of my pool runtime. So, if I run my pool from 8-5, the chlorinator should run from 8 until 9:48.

But today I looked in the diagnostics and saw it running around 3.

So, I actually have my pool set to different speed settings:
Filter H1: 8-10
Filter L1: 10-4
Filter H2: 4-5

Is that 20% for each filter setting time? Or is it for the day total? How is it figured out?

I have no experience with your paticular system, but on mine the percentage setting is representative of the power level. Meaning if you have yours set to 20% then the SWG is only outputting 20% of its total capacity. it will still run the entire time that the pump runs.

With the Goldline units, the % represents the percentage of time the SWG is on. Most have a 2 hour cycle so 20% means 24 mins on and 96 min off and then repeat.

I have the same system. 20% means the chlorinator will be ON 20% of the TIME that it senses flow (ie pump runs).

eg. If your pump in ON 24 hours a day (therefore there is flow 24 hrs a day), a chlorinator setting of 50% would mean the chlorinator would run at intervals throughout those 24 hours for a total run time of 12 hours. I did not get too deep into the instructions to figure out the interval time, and the interval period. I went deep enough to figure out what the % meant.

The important thing to note here is that anytime you change the pump run time (for a given 24 hour period), you should adjust the chlorinator % accordingly. Once you figure out the correct amount of TIME your chlorinator should be running (x hours per 24 hours), all you have to do is set the % as the percentage of time of your pump run time, you want your chlorinator to run.

eg2. you want your chlorinator to run for 3 hours in 24 hours. Your pump run time during those 24 hours total 9 hours. 3 hours/9 hours=33%. Set your chlorinator % to 30% or 35% (there is no 33% setting).

eg3. You change your pump total run time in 24 hours to 12 hours for whatever reason. You still only need your chlorinator to run for 3 hours per 24 hours. 3 hours/12 hours=25%. Set your chlorinator % to 25%

Clear as mud?

JFB is right. On my pool pilot nano+, the manual states that the % is based on a 15 min cycle. So the percentage is that chunk of the 15 min operating cycle. And your pump run time affects chlorine output. Normally, with my 8 hours a day, I'm good with 30%. But if I run the pump all day for the heater or while people are swimming, I need to bump it way down or it makes too much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.