Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What Exactly does Pool Chlorinator 20%?

1. Back To Top    #1

What Exactly does Pool Chlorinator 20%?

I have a Goldline (Hayward) Pro Logic system. I have generally been able to properly control my chlorine by adjusting the Pool Chlorinator % setting.

But, I am confused about what it means. I thought it meant 20% of my pool runtime. So, if I run my pool from 8-5, the chlorinator should run from 8 until 9:48.

But today I looked in the diagnostics and saw it running around 3.

So, I actually have my pool set to different speed settings:
    Filter H1: 8-10
    Filter L1: 10-4
    Filter H2: 4-5

Is that 20% for each filter setting time? Or is it for the day total? How is it figured out?
    26k gal IG, Gunite Baha Sand River Rok (pebble), Hayward DE6020 Filter (120GPM), Hayward NorthStar 2HP (dual speed) pump, Hayward H400FDP 400kBTU heater, Aqua Comfort Heat pump, Pro Logic Automation and Chlorination (SWG), Polaris 3900 (we call him Fred, he likes to get stuck in the corner of our stairs). Watch our pool being built http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S61tQm2fp08

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What Exactly does Pool Chlorinator 20%?

I have no experience with your paticular system, but on mine the percentage setting is representative of the power level. Meaning if you have yours set to 20% then the SWG is only outputting 20% of its total capacity. it will still run the entire time that the pump runs.
    18, 000 gal.
    Inground, Vinyl lined
    300# Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward pump
    Pool Pilot Digital SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

When it is done it says Chlorinator Off Percentage met, which leads me to believe it is off after a certain time.
    26k gal IG, Gunite Baha Sand River Rok (pebble), Hayward DE6020 Filter (120GPM), Hayward NorthStar 2HP (dual speed) pump, Hayward H400FDP 400kBTU heater, Aqua Comfort Heat pump, Pro Logic Automation and Chlorination (SWG), Polaris 3900 (we call him Fred, he likes to get stuck in the corner of our stairs). Watch our pool being built http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S61tQm2fp08

4. Back To Top    #4

It's the on percentage for a set time period. [s:31vamx1c]I think it's per hour. So if you have it set at 20% it runs 20% of each hour that the swg is on.[/s:31vamx1c] See Mark's post below.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, so I have it on 10% at the moment, it was on this morning, it is now 10:03 and it is not on (says Percentage met), so I am not sure about that.

6. Back To Top    #6

With the Goldline units, the % represents the percentage of time the SWG is on. Most have a 2 hour cycle so 20% means 24 mins on and 96 min off and then repeat.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

I have the same system. 20% means the chlorinator will be ON 20% of the TIME that it senses flow (ie pump runs).

eg. If your pump in ON 24 hours a day (therefore there is flow 24 hrs a day), a chlorinator setting of 50% would mean the chlorinator would run at intervals throughout those 24 hours for a total run time of 12 hours. I did not get too deep into the instructions to figure out the interval time, and the interval period. I went deep enough to figure out what the % meant.

The important thing to note here is that anytime you change the pump run time (for a given 24 hour period), you should adjust the chlorinator % accordingly. Once you figure out the correct amount of TIME your chlorinator should be running (x hours per 24 hours), all you have to do is set the % as the percentage of time of your pump run time, you want your chlorinator to run.

eg2. you want your chlorinator to run for 3 hours in 24 hours. Your pump run time during those 24 hours total 9 hours. 3 hours/9 hours=33%. Set your chlorinator % to 30% or 35% (there is no 33% setting).

eg3. You change your pump total run time in 24 hours to 12 hours for whatever reason. You still only need your chlorinator to run for 3 hours per 24 hours. 3 hours/12 hours=25%. Set your chlorinator % to 25%

Clear as mud?
    JF

13.5k gallons, IG, Vinyl, Hayward C3030 Cartridge, Hayward Tristar 3/4hp single speed, Hayward T-15 SWG, Hayward P4 automation, 234 sqft Solex Solar panels. April 2013 construction, Dolphin DX4 robot, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jets 2.

8. Back To Top    #8

Got it. Thanks for the info.

9. Back To Top    #9

JFB is right. On my pool pilot nano+, the manual states that the % is based on a 15 min cycle. So the percentage is that chunk of the 15 min operating cycle. And your pump run time affects chlorine output. Normally, with my 8 hours a day, I'm good with 30%. But if I run the pump all day for the heater or while people are swimming, I need to bump it way down or it makes too much.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool