Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA is in check but CH continues to rise

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA is in check but CH continues to rise

I have a newly built plaster pool and have been following the BBB method. I have noticed that my CYA seems to stay in check (with normal splashing it'll actually fall so I periodically use a tab or two every so often to keep it in the 40-50 range). As I look back at my chemical log I'm seeing that my CH is trending up (up to 344 from 276 3 wks ago). Anyone have any ideas why? At this trend it'll be out of optimal range here in the next week-ish.

Latest results:
    FC: 3.5
    pH: 7.8
    TA: 97
    CH: 344
    CYA: 35

I did throw a tab in the chlorinator this week to bring the CYA up a little. I might throw a second in to help get it closer to 50.
    New Pool: 22 x 35 | StoneScape Mini - Midnight Blue | ~17,500 gallons | Jandy Equipment - Built spring 2015 (click for details and pictures)
    Old Pool: 16 x 30 | QuartzBrite | 14,000 gallons | Pentair Equipment - Built summer of 2013 (click for details and pictures)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA is in check but CH continues to rise

Have you been topping off due to evaporation? Have you ever tested your fill water? What are you using to chlorinate?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Could be due to evaporation ... or have you been using any cal-hypo?

What are you using to test with as your TA and CH numbers have too many significant figures?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

New Plaster is going to raise calcium too.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

I use the 2006 kit, its one of the recommended ones here. I also take it to the store for verification ... they're usually pretty close on most numbers. I do top off due to splash out and evaporation about once a week.

When the pool was first filled the CH was 276. I don't know what the tap water has in it but since it was first filled with tap I would presume its gotta be close to the 276-ish number.

I use bleach to chlorinate via the BBB method unless the CYA gets below 40 ... then I stick a couple tabs in to bring CYA back up into range and then use exclusively the BBB method again.
    New Pool: 22 x 35 | StoneScape Mini - Midnight Blue | ~17,500 gallons | Jandy Equipment - Built spring 2015 (click for details and pictures)
    Old Pool: 16 x 30 | QuartzBrite | 14,000 gallons | Pentair Equipment - Built summer of 2013 (click for details and pictures)

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

1 tab in your pool raises your CYA by about 2 ppm. You need to get more precise in your dosages so they do what you expect them to.

If you have a K-2006, taking the results to the pool store to "verify" usually "un-verifies" your work. You must learn to trust your own testing.

Test the CH of your fill water.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

OK - I will test the fill water. And I'll trust my own results a little more. I'm going to guess the fill water CH is lower than the pool's right now. Is the only way to lower the CH by replacing water? Any thoughts on what's causing it to rise?

8. Back To Top    #8

This is why it is rising:
    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Could be due to evaporation ... or have you been using any cal-hypo?
    Only 2 ways to lower CH: Replace water with lower CH water, Reverse Osmosis treatment (very limited markets and not cheap).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I suspect this is due to a combination of high CH fill water, probably high rate of evaporation although you do not say where you live, and new plaster in the pool.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~