Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just switched from trichlor tabs to BBB

1. Back To Top    #1

Just switched from trichlor tabs to BBB

Moved into a house 2 years ago with a circa-1970s 40k gal plaster pool. We've been using trichlor tabs and shock for chlorination , adding shock and balancing pH based on hard-to-read test strips. The pH has been fairly stable for the past 1.5 yrs and we've been attempting to maintain 3-4 ppm FC based on the test strip manufacturer recommendations.

We'd been fighting mustard algae blooms every 1-2 months and couldn't figure out why as we'd been maintaining the recommended chlorine levels. Every 1-2 months required an expensive and pain staking regiment of 32 oz of Polyquat 60 + 32 oz of clarifier followed by a vacuum to waste of the dead algae.

I stumbled onto the BBB method section of this site a week ago and immediately ditched the trichlor and shock, switching to Clorox 8.25% bleach from Costco (until I stock up at the next bleach sale). Just received my TF100 test kit and recorded a pH of 7.8, FC of 4.5ppm, CC of 0-0.5ppm, and CYA of 110-120 ppm before I ran out of sunlight. Currently bringing the FC up to 9ppm per the Pool Calculator.

Will take TA and CH levels tomorrow. Looks like a 1/2-1/3 water replacement is in my future. Hope to have this old pool in check soon.

EDIT: Today's measurements
    FC = 9 ppm
    pH = 8.2
    CYA = 110 ppm
    TA = 130
    CH = 470

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just switched from trichlor tabs to BBB

Sounds like you understand the plan. Test and conquer
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You have a good understanding of what is needed. Depending on where you live, you may just want to hold high FC levels for the remainder of the season and allow the CYA to dilute down over the winter from rainfall.

If you have some more season left, drain/refill now may be your best path....allowing you to run much lower FC levels.

What does your water look like?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm in socal (LA), so I don't expect much rainfall. Water looks clear.

I do get a decent amount of evap during the hot months. Does CYA boil off or concentrate?

5. Back To Top    #5

CYA doesn't evaporate so as water evaporates it actually concentrates and when you refill it goes back to where it was before. A lot of people drain water for winterizing and that also drains off some CYA so when they refil after winter the CYA is lower than before. If you don't close the pool then you don't have that as an option. In that case, draining now might be your best bet.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Dilute your water 50/50 with tap water then run the CYA test again. Multiply the result by 2. You may find you are over 100.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

FC = 9 ppm
    pH = 8.2
    CYA = 110 ppm
    TA = 130
    CH = 470

Plaster pool with a hot tub and constantly aerating jets. Should I reduce TA by adding muriatic acid to bring pH down to 7.0-7.2, then aerate with the hot tub to bring it back up? Thinking step 1 should be drain and refill half the pool to bring down CYA, then worry about everything else.

8. Back To Top    #8

I'd dilute the water to get the CYA down first. It's hard to fight algae using chlorine when the CYA is so high. After the CYA is lowered, then you can look at your other numbers and if the TA is high and your pH tends to rise, then you can lower the TA if you want.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

Bama: Your statement above confuses me:
    CYA doesn't evaporate so as water evaporates it actually concentrates and when you refill it goes back to where it was before.
    That implies that draining and refilling would also get CYA back to where it was previously. Draining water is different than evaporation? I'm guessing that means that evaporated water doesn't include CYA for some reason? Not questioning your knowledge; just trying to understand.

By the way, see you on September 14 in College Station.
    15k gallons / IG / PebbleSheen / Cartridge Filter / 1.5HP dual speed pump / Built Aug 2010 / Spa / TigerShark cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

Whenever water evaporates, the water leaves, but dissolved minerals and chemicals do not, leaving a more concentrated solution.

When draining, both the water and the minerals/chemicals leave together. The remaining water contains the same concentration as the original.

That's the difference between the two processes.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

11. Back To Top    #11

Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

tfp
    15k gallons / IG / PebbleSheen / Cartridge Filter / 1.5HP dual speed pump / Built Aug 2010 / Spa / TigerShark cleaner

12. Back To Top    #12

Draining now. Through a 100 ft 5/8" garden hose. 6.5gal/min, ugh.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by poolslideblue
    Draining now. Through a 100 ft 5/8" garden hose. 6.5gal/min, ugh.
    See ya in about 3 days...
    "The early bird might get the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese." ~ W. Rian Adams
    Relative's IG Vinyl | 16x32 | ~18,600 gals | Hayward 3/4hp Pump | Hayward S244T Filter | Pentair Model 300 Chlorinator (not used) | Polaris 180

14. Back To Top    #14

Finished the ~1/2 water replacement over the weekend. Too bad there aren't any ro pool filtering services in LA. CYA down to 58. Going to be an ugly water bill this month.

15. Back To Top    #15

How did you get a CYA result of 58?
    "The early bird might get the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese." ~ W. Rian Adams
    Relative's IG Vinyl | 16x32 | ~18,600 gals | Hayward 3/4hp Pump | Hayward S244T Filter | Pentair Model 300 Chlorinator (not used) | Polaris 180

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Jeetyet
    Linear interpolation between the 50 and 60 hash marks. Is it a linear or logarithmic scale?

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by poolslideblue
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeetyet
    Linear interpolation between the 50 and 60 hash marks. Is it a linear or logarithmic scale?
    The latter.