Concrete Deck and Cool Deck Surfacing Tomorrow

Aug 17, 2012
Hey Gang,

I threw in the towel. I was going to build my own deck but decided to leave it to the professionals. Also, a new deck turned into a new deck, new coping, new tile, and a resurfacing. Might as well!

So to my questions...

I could use your professional opinion on a job that is suppose to go in tomorrow. I am having a new concrete deck poured. The contractor says that they will pour the concrete tomorrow and possible lay the cool deck. I asked if the concrete needed to cure before he lays the decking. He told me it adheres better when the concrete is still wet. He also said that if the concrete dries, they will have to use a bonding agent before applying the cool deck. Also, I am in South Texas and we are expecting some tropical rain the next few days. How will this effect the decking?

Summary:

How long should the concrete cure before laying the cool deck?
If rain is expected, how will this effect the job?

Thanks in advance!

-Scott

You may not get much response. This is a forum made up of mostly pool owners.....not concrete or cool deck installers.

I am familiar with most masonry work but don't have a single clue about cool deck application.

I am certainly not a professional but since this thread isn't overwhelmed with a flood of replies and you are somewhat under the gun due to time constraints, here's my two cents:
I understand that Kool Deck is applied to new (uncured) concrete
Sun Dek is a different coating that is applied to older, cured concrete.

I think they have various pros and cons, but it sounds like Kool Deck is what you would use on your new pour. If you google the proper names (they are weirdly spelled, Kool Deck and Sun Dek, made by different manufacturers) you will find a lot of info. Good luck!

suggested-deck-coatings-t4432.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.