Salt Vs Chlorine

Sep 4, 2013
First of all I appreciate everyone's insight! We are in the final stages of designing our pool. I know this topic has been discussed at length all over the Internet, but can I get everyone's take on salt vs chlorine for a first time pool owner? I don't mind doing all of the work, just want to know about corrosion of equipment and decking/moss rock.
Thanks

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

A "salt" pool IS a chlorine pool. The SWG will just "generate" the chlorine (FC) for you from the salt in the water. Alternatively you have to add the FC (daily using liquid chlorine / bleach) or you can get a system to automatically add the bleach for you (liquidator or a peristaltic pump).

There is really very little to worry about in regards to equipment corrosion, but if you have soft rock (I am not sure what moss rock is), then the salt can result in erosion, although this is usually more of a concern where there is little rain to wash the salt off the rock and it can build up.

Flagstone ... Texas ....... seems like most of the reports of problems come your area or AZ.

Is the flagstone all around the pool? ... if so, I would skip the SWG and start looking at the other options.

BTW, the SWG cells generally last 3-5 years. The controllers should last a lot longer than that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.