First Test Readings!

Aug 22, 2013
Ph 7.5
CHl 6.0
CC .5
Alk 150
CH 260
CY 30

Water is within 2" of full line from first filling. It has taken close to 5 days to fill. I have added a total of 3 quarts of E-Z Chlor Metal Magnet. We do have metals in our water. I added more dissolved Cyanuric (Stabilizer) to water, since we're in very sunny Florida our Cy should be between 40-60.

The water is clear with a Carribean green tint. The cyanuric I added seems to look yellow on the bottom (Metals?)

I have just started circulating the water and wonder if it doesn't look any better should I do one more quart of metal magnet?

Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated.

Bonnnie

Your chlorine (FC) level of 6 ppm is a little high for your current CYA level of 30 ppm. However, if you intend to raise the CYA level to between 40-50, then the current FC level would be appropriate. If CYA hits 50, you would have to bump it up to the recommended target of 7 ppm (see Chlorine CYA Chart).

Your other numbers look fine. How steady is your pH? If it tends to drift up rather quickly, you might consider lowering the TA (Alk). If pH is relatively stable, then I would leave TA alone.

Bigwheel179 said:
The cyanuric I added seems to look yellow on the bottom (Metals?)
I have not heard of this happening from CYA, but we do recommend adding CYA by placing the granules in a sock and either hanging the sock in front of a return jet or placing it in the skimmer.

Bigwheel179 said:
I have added a total of 3 quarts of E-Z Chlor Metal Magnet.
This appears to be a metal sequestrant. We recommend sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.

A pic of your water would help. From your description is does seem that your water may need more sequestrant to get rid of the green and get it to blue.

Cyanuric acid will have no affect on the color of your water.

I have folded paper towels and put into the skimmer basket, change out every hour & the towels are yellowish/brown. Definitely metals!

I am seeing the water a little more clear/less green than yesterday. Water has circulated on low over night and I turned it up to high this morning.

Will be taking another sample this afternoon.

I do plan on raising the CYA level, I added about 4lbs more yesterday afternoon. I would normally do the CYA in front of the jet except that it took 5+ days to fill and since there was no water movement I just used a 5 gallon bucket and dissolved the best I could until It looked like milk. When I poured it into the pool only about 1/4 left undissolved but it dissolved in the pool within a few hours.

Yes, our Metal Magnet by E-z Chlor is a sequestrant. That's what I'm thinking too, that I need another quart.

Thanks for the help, will report back this afternoon.

Bonnie

Pool is looking better everyday. Added 1/2 quart of metal sequesterant and the main drain and steps are not looking as yellow. Changing out folded paper towels in the skimmer basket evey hour. The towels are nasty!

Pool test readings:
Free Ch 4.5
C Ch .5
Ph 7.5
Alk 150
Calcium 240
Cyn 50

I'm thinking this is pretty good. Will keep an eye on Chlorine in the evening as we are expecting alot of kids to swim this weekend!

Thanks for all the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.