New (to me) small pool with algae - help!

Ok I'll try that with the UV.

I added the add'l bleach, total 30 oz yesterday evening.

Today it is crystal clear, slight smell of chlorine on the skin, last night was very strong.

Pool looks great.

Since test kit hasn't been delivered yet, I brought a sample to local Pinch a Penny pool store.

Said there was 0 chlorine? I can smell it?

PH 7.6
TA 60ppm
CAhd 300ppm
stabilizer 10ppm ?? I never added any??
TDS 900 ppm

Said to add 1/2 tab of chlorine each week
Add 15 oz of Alk increaser
add 1 lb of stabilizer.

I said thanks,

I'm following your advice here, so what do you think?

First, we don't trust pool store results. There are plenty that are shown to be completely unreliable.

It is possible for your free chlorine (FC) to be 0. The smell of chlorine is commonly from the CCs that occur when FC is used up by reacting with organics like algae.

As far as the recommendations, I wouldn't add Alk increaser. If the pool store is right, your TA is on the low side, but not so low that you need to do something right away. Wait for the test kit and confirm the value. If you test it as low, just use baking soda to raise it. There's no need to spend the extra money for the label of "Alk increaser".

To raise chlorine, keep using plain bleach. The 1/2 tab will add CYA; there is no reason for you to buy tabs.

You should add enough stabilizer to bring it up to 30ppm based on your pool size if you have not done this, yet. Pool calculator will tell you how much.

One other question I forgot....sorry for so many.

How many hours a day does this pump really need to run, it runs 2500 gph 24/7 now, I have an option to jack it up to 3500.

Didn't think it needed to go 24 hours

Ok, test kit hasn't arrived yet but adding 10oz every night the pool looks great.

Now we can't go on doing this as daily thing for ever,

For this size pool what chlorination can I look at to add this small dose on a regular basis?

I do not understand you questions. It is NORMAL to have to add bleach on a daily basis ... or you have to look into one of the automation methods (liquidator, peristaltic pump, SWG)

yes what automated choices are there?

I understand that SW generators are all too large for a 3500 G pool, so what else is there on the market that I can look into.

Most I see treat large pools, how are these controlled to dose a correct amount?

There are also smaller SWG that would be fine for you pool ... like the Intex version or there are some that hang on the side of the pool.

There are set by trial and error ... you adjust the SWG/pump run time as well as the SWG % output such that it maintains adequate FC levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.