Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filtering issues after changing sand

1. Back To Top    #1

Filtering issues after changing sand

My brother recently changed the sand in his filter. After he put it back together, he noticed that the it wasn't filtering very well. So he pulled all of the sand out again to check the laterals. Everything looked fine. Re-filled again and is having the same problems.

Observations:
    - When you backwash, there is dirty water coming from the filter so I know it is partially working.

- Whenever he vacuums or adds DE, it looks like that majority of it flows straight back into the pool.

- After dealing with an algae bloom, he ran the filter non-stop for about 2 weeks trying to filter out the dead algae. It never did filter out and clear up the water. So he ended up turning the filter off for a couple of days and all of the particulates fell to the bottom of the pool.

Any ideas of what to do / what to check?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filtering issues after changing sand

Welcome to TFP!

The sand level and type of sand would be the first things to check.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Welcome to TFP!

The sand level and type of sand would be the first things to check.
    Thanks John! The sand was bought at Leslie's Pools and based upon their recommendation, we put 250lbs into the filter. The sand comes to about 6 inches below the top of the filter. When refilling the sand the second time, he made sure to fill the sand with water to discourage air pockets.

4. Back To Top    #4

Leslie's loves to do that. You can go years, if not decades, without changing sand. I recently changed mine from 1989, only because my filter failed (also 1989). Before the filter failed, it was working just fine on that old sand.

The sand should come to the point of the filter where it begins to bend in, at least that's how it works on mine.

Did you partially fill the filter with water (at least half) before adding the new sand?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Why did he change the sand in the first place? Was it not filtering well before the sand change?
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

6. Back To Top    #6

The sand should come to the point of the filter where it begins to bend in, at least that's how it works on mine.
    Yes, which is about where it is if not just a tad higher.

Did you partially fill the filter with water (at least half) before adding the new sand?
    Not the first time but yes on the second time i did...figured the first time I created some channels around the outside of the filter because the sand was probably too dry in the middle but when I pulled all the sand out, i didn't really see any channels and there as definitely debris on/in the sand...bunch of ants and what not

Why did he change the sand in the first place? Was it not filtering well before the sand change?
    He thought it would be a good idea . Leslie's told him it should be changed every 5 years. So he thought that he'd change it since he was changing the top valve.

7. Back To Top    #7

I wonder if this by any chance is a Hayward ProSeries filter. I've been noticing similar complaints. If anybody ever finds a definitive cause (assuming there is one) it'll help a lot of people.
    "The early bird might get the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese." ~ W. Rian Adams
    Relative's IG Vinyl | 16x32 | ~18,600 gals | Hayward 3/4hp Pump | Hayward S244T Filter | Pentair Model 300 Chlorinator (not used) | Polaris 180

8. Back To Top    #8

Filtering issues after changing sand

Can you post photos of the top valve and piping?

Did you backwash the sand really good after you first installed it, then rinse it really good?

I would make sure 1) it's plumbed properly and 2) sand is backwashed / rinsed well. If it still doesn't seem to be working, check the spider gasket. I know it's new, but if the other things check out, I would then suspect some of the water is bypassing the filter.

It would also help if you added the pool info to your signature.
    16' x 32' IG vinyl liner w/ hopper bottom (12,500 gal), Single-speed 1 HP Sta-Rite pump, and 300# Cristal-Flo sand filter, TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

It sounds like he's had a filtering problem for a while. If he hasn't changed the valve seal(s), it would probably be a good time to try that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

I wonder if this by any chance is a Hayward ProSeries filter. I've been noticing similar complaints. If anybody ever finds a definitive cause (assuming there is one) it'll help a lot of people.
    It's a Hayward S220T.

Can you post photos of the top valve and piping?

Did you backwash the sand really good after you first installed it, then rinse it really good?

I would make sure 1) it's plumbed properly and 2) sand is backwashed / rinsed well. If it still doesn't seem to be working, check the spider gasket. I know it's new, but if the other things check out, I would then suspect some of the water is bypassing the filter.

It would also help if you added the pool info to your signature.
    I'll get some pictures up by tomorrow morning. It has been backwashed and rinsed several times now but is there a specific length of time that it needs to be done when first changing the sand? I'll check the gaskets on the valve when we take pictures.

It sounds like he's had a filtering problem for a while. If he hasn't changed the valve seal(s), it would probably be a good time to try that.
    He really didn't have troubles with the filter until he changed the top valve and sand...which was done at the same time.

11. Back To Top    #11

So it's a new multiport valve?
    I'd say check the valve to stand pipe seal.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

It takes a good 3-5 minutes of backwashing (or possibly rinsing... someone with a rinse setting will have to chime in, I only have filter and backwash) to settle new sand.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!