AGP with main drain - how to winterize

tschutz1

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2013
So this is my first year of pool ownership. I've actually enjoyed getting to learn about all of the chemistry and maintenance items for the pool. This forum has been extremely helpful in that regard.

But one thing is confusing the heck out of me with closing procedures for the cold winter months. It is how to winterize the main drain. I've read different methods for closing the main drain. Some say to pour antifreeze in it, others talk about blowing the line out. I’m really confused.

It would seem to me that you would not want any kind of liquid in the drain over the winter just in case, but I’m confused about how you would get the water out of the line.

Do you cover the drain at the bottom of the pool and suck the water out? That would seem to be difficult to swim down there and plug it up, not to mention extremely cold if you were doing it in 60 degree pool water.

I saw a plug at my local ace hardware this weekend that was just an end cap and had a Schrader valve (like a bike tire) on it. I’m assuming it works by pumping air into the line, thereby displacing and forcing the water out until it bubbles into the pool. But I don’t understand one thing. Is the drain pipe installed such that the drain in the center is deeper than where it emerges from the edge of your pool? If not, wouldn’t the air in the line just bubble out the center of the pool (maybe not all at once but slowly over time) and be replaced with water?

That plug you are talking about is what you would use. Yes, Hopefully the main drain was installed correctly and has the ability to trap air. There is no real way of finding this out. Worse case scenario is that your maindrain breaks and then you just cap it off. On the bright side if your maindrain ever did break you could just dig it up the next time your change the liner and either get rid of it all together or plumb it correctly.

I don't think you can ever get out all the water out of the main drain, remember the main drain with a in ground pool is far below the frost line, so your ok with it not freezing.

So if you push air into all the pipes and close each skimmer and return when it bubbles the last opening you will have will be the main drain.

Just let the bubbles come up from the main drain and then close the valve that turns the main drain off.

That way the trap air keeps the water from flowing back into the pipe.

It's the valve that operates the skimmer & main drain. Not the valve that you turn to back wash with.

Sorry I just now saw you had a agp.

Ok. So I managed to close my pool. For the main drain part - I have a three way valve. I left one of the hoses attached to the valve, swung it into the air, and poured about 1.5 gallons of RV antifreeze (said on the bottle it could be used for pools too). Pink stuff. I saw a little pink coming through the main drain so I figured I was safe.

Assuming there is a mix of water and antifreeze in the line. Also assuming that there is enough antifreeze that it should be plenty to keep from freezing. Considering pouring about another 1/2 gallon in there to be safe. It was only $1.99 at my local Ace so why not?

I was going to just turn the valve to the off position and put the hoses away for the winter. Sound like a good plan?

I tried the air thing mentioned above but as soon as I tried pumping air in it came out the drain so I realized it wasn't plumbed to where it would hold air. So I went the antifreeze route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.