Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Not covering pool this winter

1. Back To Top    #1

Not covering pool this winter

New pool, dont want to cover it because covers are a pain..We do get snow and ice here in Oklahoma, Whats your "closing procedure" as far as the pump, filter, skimmer etc
    30X20 Gunite pool completed in July 2013

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Not covering pool this winter

I just keep mine clean, don't cover, run the pump minimally each day on a timer, and run it continuously if we have a freeze.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

hmmmm so what if theres a blizzard? I would have to let it freeze...pipes be ok?
    30X20 Gunite pool completed in July 2013

4. Back To Top    #4
    Fayetteville, NY

Frozen water in your pipes will break your plumbing, if not properly winterized.

Never done it myself yet, but I understand the winterization
    process for places that go below freezing on a regular basis, is to get all water out of the plumbing, capping the jets, and adding environmentally safe antifreeze in key places.

For short periods of freezing, constant running of the pump can prevent water freezing and keep pipes safe. Many automatic controllers have a built in function to do this, called freeze protection. If you get serious winter weather, freeze protection like this is probably not enough.
    Fayetteville, NY -17K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump, FlowVis Flow Meter, Sand filter
    Self designed Arduino powered automation for pump and solar control, Solar Attic Pool Heater, AutoPilot Digital SWG, TF100

5. Back To Top    #5
    Albany, NY

Will it freeze solid or for an extended period of time??

If so you need to winterize .... just do a search on here and you will find detailed instructions.

It isn't all that hard to do and it is significantly easier than repairing ruptured pipe.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner