Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool slightly cloudy.. Please help it sparkle again

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool slightly cloudy.. Please help it sparkle again

Our pool has been looking great all summer with help from TFP!!

Last night i noticed that the pool looked a little cloudy.

Here are the test results.

Aside from raising my chlorine, what else can I do to get it to sparkle again? Should I raise it to 3 by adding 72oz of 6% bleach?

Should I change settings on my SWCG to increase cl production? It's currently at 35% and I run it for 10 hrs a day.

My CYA is low but we will be closing the pool in a few weeks.

TA is high i think...

16'x34' Inground Vinyl Pool. 65,500L. Hayward S244T2 24 Sand Filter. Hayward 1hp Super Pump. Raypak PR266 EN 266,000 btu,. AquaRite SWCG. Aqualamp LED 2 w/ remote

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool slightly cloudy.. Please help it sparkle again

You've let your FC fall too low. At 3 you were OK, but when you got down to 2, that would have been the time to bump up the SWG. Yes, add the bleach immediately to bring FC back up. The SWG can take over from there, just turn up the percentage a few clicks and readjust as necessary.

Since the FC has been low for so long, I believe it's time to run an OCLT and see if you have a problem. What to do at that point may be up to you, since you are closing soon.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I find I can see the cloudiness in my pool before the testing shows any CC, so, the suggestion your FC is low is accurate. When it happens in my pool, it typically means my FC is a point low.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks!!

Adding bleach now.

I have this one in my laundry room. Is it ok to use? Labelled as 101 bleach (regular i think).

http://www.dggadvertising.com/test_aust ... ch%203.pdf
    16'x34' Inground Vinyl Pool. 65,500L. Hayward S244T2 24 Sand Filter. Hayward 1hp Super Pump. Raypak PR266 EN 266,000 btu,. AquaRite SWCG. Aqualamp LED 2 w/ remote

5. Back To Top    #5

As long as it is regular. I note that it is only 3%, so be sure you adjust the pool calculator. And if it's old, it may be lower than 3%.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    As long as it is regular. I note that it is only 3%, so be sure you adjust the pool calculator. And if it's old, it may be lower than 3%.
    Yes, I adjusted the calc.

How long would it take to get the cloudiness off? It's our first season ever with a pool and first issue since we had it built.

7. Back To Top    #7

If the pool has already gone cloudy, it is too late to just bump the FC a bit. You need to start the SLAM process. If you have caught it early, then it should only take a couple days to pass the 3 criteria to stop. [slam103fddl][/slam103fddl]
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    If the pool has already gone cloudy, it is too late to just bump the FC a bit. You need to start the SLAM process. If you have caught it early, then it should only take a couple days to pass the 3 criteria to stop. [slam:2rznt5jg][/slam:2rznt5jg]
    Thanks. In the shallow end, I can see the water just fine. In the deep end (8'), I can see the drain, but just a little hazy / cloudy..

9. Back To Top    #9

Depends if the cloudiness is due to low level algae or some external source.

I would start the SLAM process and run the filter 24/7. Sounds like it should only take a few days and an OCLT will confirm if it is algae or not.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Depends if the cloudiness is due to low level algae or some external source.

I would start the SLAM process and run the filter 24/7. Sounds like it should only take a few days and an OCLT will confirm if it is algae or not.
    Thanks.

Would any of these chemicals that the pool builder left for us come in handy?

A package of KlearSok (125g) -
    3 x 450g packages of shock plus - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/778 ... 01010E.pdf

11. Back To Top    #11

I don't know what the first one is, but the second one is CalHypo and will add CH to the pool. Since you are already at 200 and have a vinyl pool, I would avoid it.

Those CalHypo additions tend to cloud pools for a bit, too. You didn't add one recently, did you?

12. Back To Top    #12

I don't know what the first one is, but the second one is CalHypo and will add CH to the pool. Since you are already at 200 and have a vinyl pool, I would avoid it.

Those CalHypo additions tend to cloud pools for a bit, too. You didn't add one recently, did you?
    No. Haven't ever used it.

Btw - pool will be closed in a few weeks and we will be getting a new liner in the spring as this one had a leak and was patched. We had the pool builder agree to a new one.

13. Back To Top    #13

I would use the CalHypo as you are not too worried about too much Calcium as you will changing your water in the spring.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    I would use the CalHypo as you are not too worried about too much Calcium as you will changing your water in the spring.
    How do I calculate how much to use? Does the pool call do cal hypo?

15. Back To Top    #15

Yes the poolcalculator will tell you how much cal-hypo is required to achieve a given FC rise.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

And just to chime in, I agree. If you are draining, who cares about the CH.

17. Back To Top    #17

And just to chime in, I agree. If you are draining, who cares about the CH.
    Other than the fact as you mentioned earlier that the cal-hypo could in fact make the water cloudy as well ... especially if the pH is high.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

So true!

19. Back To Top    #19

You guys are all awesome.

Need some helps with calcs now please.

I added 5L of 3% bleach earlier. Based on my math it would have raised my FC from 1 to 3.4 ish.

If I need to get to 12.2 FC (based on my CYA of 30) to hit the shock level, would adding 875g of calhypo (I assume what I have is 65%) be right?

Secondly, I have never used calhypo before, so should I dissolve it then add to the pool?

20. Back To Top    #20

There is no need to be super exact. SLAM level for a CYA of 30ppm is between 12-13ppm.

Ideally you should measure you current FC level put that in the Now column in the calculator and put your Target FC in as well. Then to the right select 65% cal-hypo and it will tell you the amount to add. For example to get from 3 to 12, in a 66500 litre pool it would take 928 grams. BTW, I used the metric units in the calc (the 3 volumes you have listed in your signature are slightly different from each other).
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast