DE filter/canister help...

marty

Jul 10, 2012
CA
New house with old filter, so I was told by pool store that the spent canister might explode if I back wash wrong... What the correct way?
Turn system off
open slide valve to back wash
open spent canister red pvc valve
turn system on?

is there anything I do to canister bag or whatever is inside?

then re add a little DE in skimmer

Thanks for your help!

ps when I have to open filter and take grids off when I hose down, is it hard to re assemble ?

They are trying to sell the service, should I just have them do it? I cleaned cartridges before...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu7tNuQsZMY

What brand and model is the filter?
No matter, It's highly unlikely that you could do anything that would explode the filter. Your pool pump isn't designed to produce more pressure than the filter is rated for.

DE filters should only be completely taken apart and cleaned once a year.

I know this is my first post but I have been cleaning pools for years and I love DE filters, they are way easier than cartridges (until you have to take it apart I guess). Do not let the service do it for you unless you like the price.

MAKE SURE you never move the valve while the system is on because you will blow out your valve (I think that's the explosion you are talking about).

1. Turn system off
2. Switch to backwash
3. When the sight glass looks clear turn system off again
4. Switch to rinse
5. When the sight glass is clear again repeat steps 1-4 until sight glass stays clear.
6. Turn system off
7. Switch to filter
8. Add appropriate amount of D.E. to skimmer (should say how much to add on the filter).

make sure drain valve is open of course

I don't know why you would want to replace a good filter. If the vessel isn't comprimised, there's not any real reason to replace it.
All pool equipment is designed to handle more pressure than a pool pump can produce.

I can't view YouTube vids here so you're better off posting pics.

I don't have a spent DE canister in my setup but as far as I know, the canister is only under pressure when you are rinsing the Spent DE into the canister. I don't know if the water is going to waste or back to the pool but either way, I don't think the canister sees a lot of pressure and it only sees water when you are changing the DE, once or twice a season for an hour? The pool services comment that if you wash it wrong it might burst seems like either a sales pitch or the desire to not have to "learn" how it works. Either way, I am not sure I trust them.

I don't know if you are talkinga bout my comment but i have no idea how long to run the separator. I don't have one and have never used one.

AFAIK, separators only see water when you are backwashing the filter and the water will back flow into the DE filter and the filter drains thru the separator. I don't know how it's plumbed into your pool.

Separation tanks are designed to work primarily with diatomaceous earth (D.E.) swimming pool
or spa filters. Their purpose is to separate the D.E. and dirt from filter effluent during the
backwash cycle. The separation process should produce water out of the separation tank
suitable for return back to the pool or disposal into city storm drain systems. The separation
process uses a large cloth “filter” bag to literally filter out the D.E. and its entrapped dirt
particles. During backwashing of a D.E. filter, a valve is used to reverse the normal flow through
the filter. The reverse flow dislodges the D.E. cake from the filter and flushes it into the top of the
filter bag. The D. E. and dirt are captured in the bag and clean water passes through and exits
from the tank bottom (outlet). After backwashing the filter, the separation tank needs to be
opened and the bag cleaned before another backwashing cycle.

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/SeparationTankIG.pdf

See if these instructions help.

techguy said:
Separation tanks are designed to work primarily with diatomaceous earth (D.E.) swimming pool
or spa filters. Their purpose is to separate the D.E. and dirt from filter effluent during the
backwash cycle. The separation process should produce water out of the separation tank
suitable for return back to the pool or disposal into city storm drain systems. The separation
process uses a large cloth “filter” bag to literally filter out the D.E. and its entrapped dirt
particles. During backwashing of a D.E. filter, a valve is used to reverse the normal flow through
the filter. The reverse flow dislodges the D.E. cake from the filter and flushes it into the top of the
filter bag. The D. E. and dirt are captured in the bag and clean water passes through and exits
from the tank bottom (outlet). After backwashing the filter, the separation tank needs to be
opened and the bag cleaned before another backwashing cycle.

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/SeparationTankIG.pdf

See if these instructions help.

Right on! thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.