slammed pool but keep losing 6 fc

Sep 3, 2013
Hi

I am new and slammed the pool as i had some algae (got it up to 84-what a pain), i seem to keep losing 6 FC overnight for the last 3 days and not sure why. Using talyor 2006 kit. I don't want to drain it until the season is over.

FC 9- raised it to 27.5 tonight because of the 6 fc lost everynight
CYA >100
TA 140
CH 900 I have used cal hypo chloride for years- tap water is 150
ph 7.2

the pool looks better than ever but this 6 fc lost has got me scratching my head and i don't want the algae to come back.

Any ideas as to what to do?

Welcome to tfp, alexstjo :wave:

As you know, you are not done with the SLAM process until you pass all three criteria simultaneously and you are not passing the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT).

However, before you continue the SLAM process, you need to lower you cya by doing a partial drain/refill. Since you kit is reading >100 and the test does not really test any higher than 100, redo the test but this time use half pool water and half cya free water (tap water is fine for this) and repeat the test. Multiply that result by 2 and that is your cya level. Post that result. Then we can help you with how much drain/refill to do. This will also lower your CH.

ok just tested and got these results:
17,000 gal pebble tech inground pool

FC:20 lost another 7!
CC:2
Cya: ? 400- the dot disappeared half way between the bottom and 100, so 200 then times 2?? can cya be that high? I used pucks for 10 years! dam it

I drained the pool two years ago. took out 3/4 of 17000 gal. I drained it from the bottom. I had NO change in CYA . Should i of pulled water from the top?

help
Alex

The last drain did do something. It lowered the CYA in direct proportion to the amount of water you replaced. How did you test the CYA 2 years ago? Likely the cya was just really high and for the last 2 years after the drain you have been adding more CYA.

Pool store guy may not have a pool and may have never maintained one. :)

I'm not saying this is true, saying it MAY be true. That is the case for the people at my local store. That's why I haven't set foot in there for 2 years.

The pool guy doesn't know... I assume the pool guy has been selling you CYA laden pucks to mange your pool and has not said anything about your CYA levels being high. When your CyA is over 100, it is nearly impossible to manage it well without tons of chemicals. How much you need to drain depends on your actual readings. If you have a real 100cya, a 50% drain should be good, if it is closer to 200cya, you will ned to take out closer to 75%.

When you get the cya closer to 50, you will see how much easier it is to manage to pool. I am in Sacramento and I can manage my pool with chlorine and some MA about once a month. Pretty much nothing else.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First, let me welcome you to TFP :wave:
alexstjo said:
Cya: ? 400- the dot disappeared half way between the bottom and 100, so 200 then times 2?? can cya be that high?
I hate to say this, but your CYA is actually probably over 400. The test can't work over 100 because of the logarithmic scale it uses (the space between 30-40 is larger than between 40-50, etc.), and that also means that half way between the bottom and 100 is more than 200 most of the time. It could possibly be over 500, in fact I would bet on it.

What does this mean? First it means you haven't actually been able to SLAM, properly SLAMing in your water would require an FC of 90+ and keep it there, probably for days. TDS doesn't really matter, the only two dissolved solids that are way out of whack for you are CYA and CH. By the looks of it, CH makes up most of it.

You can remeasure your CYA by mixing 1/4 pool water with 3/4 tap water, using that to test and multiplying the results by 4, but either way it looks like you will want to replace 90% of your water...

If you go on vacation and have to leave the pool unattended, absolutely. I travel a lot for work, and this was the primary reason I went to salt. Secondary, hauling chlorine for a 44k gallon pool was a pain in the back. :)

I don't like to recommend brands, because if you were to have an issue with a specific brand, I wouldn't want you to blame it on me. :)

Another thing, if you already have any equipment in place that the SWG might be able to communicate with, that might sway your choice.

We can talk about sizing, it will help if you post up your pool's specifics. Even better, add all that to your signature line in your profile so we always know what you have as you ask questions.

As far as start-up, I do not believe there are any special instructions when you are on salt. I never close my pool, so I am not the expert in closing and start-up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.