Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 5ml FC test verses 10ml

1. Back To Top    #1

5ml FC test verses 10ml

I know this has been debated before but just want to get a clearer answer in my mind. Right now I have a CYA of 70ppm and keep my FC at a 8ppm target (Use the TF-100). I want to use less of the regent so instead of 10ml I want to use 5ml of water sample. Can I use 5ml and count each drop as 1ppm? I tested until it was slightly pink still and figured the reading was slightly highier than that value. The next drop turned it clear. Thanks in advance!
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 5ml FC test verses 10ml

I'm no expert but I believe that's fine as long as you're not doing an overnight test to check for loss of FC
    16x48 Intex Ultra Frame, stock 1500gph pump with slime bag and Intex 2500gph pump for Hayward skimmer, K-2006 w/SpeedStir, solar cover and wood heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, you can. Obviously, it's not as precise. I wouldn't try to guess intermediate, slightly pink values, though. If it turns clear at drop 8, then read it as 8 ppm. If it turns clear at 9, then 9 ppm. If you want something more granular, go back to a larger sample.
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex

4. Back To Top    #4

You can run a 5ml in a pinch, but you lose accuracy. I would not suggest it, unless you are waiting on new reagent. A reduced sample size always sacrifices too much for a long term solution.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

5. Back To Top    #5

San Rafael, CA USA

The accuracy loss comes from the +/- 1 drop and from the estimate of the water volume. The one drop goes from 0.5 ppm FC to 1 ppm FC. An error of, say, 1 ml out of 5 ml is 20% error while out of 10 ml it is a 10% error. So for a given FC level, the proportional error from volume measurement of the sample is doubled and the absolute error from drop size relative to sample size is also doubled. When measuring 8 ppm FC, the error goes from 8*0.1 + 0.5 = 1.3 ppm to 8*0.2 + 1.0 = 2.6. So it is still linearly proportional in error.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"