New Pool Build - The Villages

carlb

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2013
First, Thanks Big Time for the Site. Lots of good stuff here. For some background and how we ended up with the pool we're building. I'm a Florida Native, owned a pool down south florida, so, am very familiar with the pleasure and hassles of ownership. We moved to Central Florida and our retirement home. although, no one is retired yet. ha Maybe in 3 or 4 years. So, this house is a work in progress. Wasn't going to build a pool at all. Just a hot tub and minimum maintenance. that got changed to a swim spa, then on to the "Pool". Add a few items, features and Theme it.... now working towards a Resort Pool. LoL

Remember I said Low maintenance? Well, that ends up adding lots of goodies to the mix. Here's the pick list. A list that just keeps growing.....

The standard stuff: Width: 23' 7", Length: 22'8" Depth 3 to 5', free form. Pool Surface area 318, perimeter 79. Spa surface area 32, perimeter 22. Knock down deck with acrylic topping 1,335 sqft., turndown walls around deck perimeter (18" to 0)

2 drains
1 venturi skimmer
6 person spa raised 12" bench coping with Waterway Multi Massage jets, 6 at bench and 2 floor
3' spillway from spa to pool
PV3 floor sweep system
Pebble Tec finish
5'Hx5'Dx10'W faux rock grotto with waterfall (LED sam light) from waterline, side taper with same rock around spa bench cap.
2 straight jets in grotto bench
4 person side pool bench with oval granite table, 4 straight jets
7'x7' beach area
color logic spa & pool light, synced
Hayward Aqua rite 40K cell salt
Sense and Dispense PH
Prologic 16 with apod remote and aqualink
2 TriStar Variable pump (....edited 28Oct. 2 speed pump upgraded to Tristar)
2 blowers
DE filter
400K propane heater
6 - 4'x12' solar panels
full screen enclosure, 3 screen doors with pads
dual planter deck cutouts wrapped L&R around Grotto, for palms and such.

I think that's it..... but....., might as well install a Cabana bath (you only go once with your retirement house).

While selecting colors.... it hit us. Polynesian Themed. turn the Grotto to Lava, pool tile trim African Blue (blue/black mix) and of course....
A Tiki hut. Still on drawing board.

The last item, for now, Twin 8' cypress Tikis for the Lanai entrance to the pool/spa area.

Still to be added, Rock speakers. I've been advised to go Mono-speakers due to the distance between speakers around the grotto. Any ideas? thinking about a 3 zone system. 1 zone Grotto, 1 zone Tiki Bar, 1 zone Lanai for drop down projector screen. Movie Night!!

I've got a couple of time lapse videos. Any pointers for a hosting site I can link to this site for progress pix?

Any suggestions greatly welcome. Feel like I'm juggling 20 balls right now.

Carl

Forgot to add: hole dug 27Aug, steel installed 31aug, inspection done 03sep. Plumbing this thursday, Pool shot sometime next week. Not bad for 9 days.

Welcome to TFP! Holy backyard oasis! Sounds like you put a lot of thinking into your build. Post some quick pics when you get a chance. Would love to see the build in action and I'm sure everyone else would too! Good luck with the build. :cheers:

A couple of still shots. does anyone have a way of posting MP4 video. time Lapse of my build.

Attachments

• Steel.JPG
    Steel.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 350
  • HoleDug.JPG
    HoleDug.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 350
  • Start.JPG
    Start.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 350
got busy with work and rain.

Steel was shot and plumber placed spa jets, pipes, equipment, etc. 2 jets were too close together so, out comes the jackhammer, cutter, got started and it rained. Been that way for 4 days. Resked for this thursday/friday.

Question: What's the long term implications of cutting into the shotcrete for this repair? Is the repair the same strength as the original?

I have no knowledge of concrete and patch repairs to pools....

carl

short update. Between the rain and my schedule, either work slowed or I didn't have time to edit my time lapse vids. will try to update this week.

Pool: All plumbing completed, Grotto frame is in, equipment installed (not wired yet).

Cabana Bath: Structure up, plumbing done. waiting for inspection. then, drywall, sink, toilet install.

this Week: Grotto rocks, pool/spa coping and waterline rock.

Next Week: Footers and deck framing. speaker/lighting conduit, sprinkler pvc.

Deck poured week of Nov 11th.

well, that's the plan....

short update. Between the rain and my schedule, either work slowed or I didn't have time to edit my time lapse vids. will try to update this week.

Pool: All plumbing completed, Grotto frame is in, equipment installed (not wired yet). Deck size increased 3 feet on North end for larger Tiki Bar. Upgraded 2nd pump from 2 speed to Tristar variable. Wanted more pressure out of pool bench jets.

Cabana Bath: Structure up, plumbing done. waiting for inspection. then, drywall, sink, toilet install.

this Week: Grotto rocks, pool/spa coping and waterline rock.

Next Week: Footers and deck framing. speaker/lighting conduit, sprinkler pvc.

Deck poured week of Nov 11th.

well, that's the plan....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.