Conversion this offseason

Chat

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 3, 2013
This is my 2nd year owning the pool, we've used Baqua since the beginning. I've had small issues with biofilm (orange) and I've begun to realize the amount of money I'm literally dumping into the pool on a weekly basis. I've been reading about the BBB method since before we got the pool. I originally tried a chlorine alternative since my daughter's skin gets eczema which was mostly at the school pool. Before the biofilm issues get too crazy, I thought I'd make the conversion. I can do it now (in NY, the season is all but over) but thought I'd give it the offseason for the added time to decrease the amount of baqua in the pool.

My questions...while it's still open, I can use any baqua product but sanitizer, right? I know I can still use Oxidizer but wasn't sure about any of the other ones. (ie, algicide)

Am I missing anything else? Otherwise I'm just closing the pool as normal and opening it a couple of weeks earlier in the spring. Yes, I'll take plenty of pics. :party:

Test kit is ordered.

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

The conversion can take weeks and I don't know if you'll have time to do it now. You might if you get lucky with the weather, but if an early cold front comes in, it won't be fun. Is there any way you can return the oxidizer for a refund or trade on something for next season? If not, I don't see what harm it would be to use it. I wouldn't add the other products though.

I do believe one of the algicides is just poly 60 which you can use. Why however.....

Just close and deal with any mess next year. The conversion turns it green regardless.

That's a great point. I guess I was in the mindset that the better the water now was (aside from the baqua) the easier the conversion would be.

So basically, I don't have to worry about TA, pH or any other numbers since it's going to be a hot mess during the conversion anyway?

Yea, I think so. A hot nasty mess is right. Check out some of the conversions here on the forum. Pretty wild some of them...Relax, and study up in pool school over the winter. A great place to start is with your ABC's. See my sig line.

Before the swap you'll want your PH around 7.2......the other numbers and water condition mean nothing. You'll add a bit of work fighting algae too.....but not enough to justify the extra cost of Baquacil.

Two other quick questions....

Does it make sense for me to balance the pH before I close the pool this year? or does it really not matter?

I was going to start stockpiling bleach, I can get 12% from Ocean State Job lot. I've seen threads where one guy claims to have used 100 bottles (granted only 6%) because he added a lot in the direct sunlight and I've seen threads where people have used much less. I think I was going to get about 20 bottles (will be stored in my basement which is cool and out of the sun), I realize it's dependent on how much baquacil is left in the pool at the beginning of next year but do we think that's a good starting point?

I would keep PH in check, as high or low PH could damage various pool parts.

I'd pass on stockpiling chlorine, unless you can get it dirt dirt cheap. Make very sure it's fresh if you decide to, and not a stash they've had sitting out all year. It's hard to say just how much you'll use, as each conversion is different.

Reposting since I have some numbers (which came from the pool store...was there for the spa anyway so I thought I'd get the pool water tested also). Since the PH is ok, I plan on adding nothing before closing the pool.

pH - 7.5
TA - 73
CH - 172

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.