Started the SLAM Process

Aug 26, 2013
I got my cya down to 100, still pretty high, but manageable. I will do another drain right before closing so that cya is lower for next year. I started SLAMMing my pool yesterday with chlorine.

Here is what I have so far:

FC= 40 ppm (holding fairly steady, not dropping much) FAS-DPD kit
CC= 1.5 ppm

(Everything else is normal.)

It is Day 2 and I don't really notice any color change, still green. About how many days can it take for the algae to turn gray/white? Is there a forum that has other people's algae battles with before, during and after pics? I would love to look through that to know I am not alone in my fight. :wink:

My test strips go up to 150 and I also took a sample to the pool store, which I know are not accurate. However, both showed 100 (105 at pool store). I started at 173, drained the pool past halfway and refilled with fresh water.

I plan to do another drain/refill but I wanted to take a break.

I take it from the questions that I should be seeing a major color difference today.

No, I do not have the liquid cya test kit (I plan to buy the full kit next year.). I have strips. The pool store used ClearCare Expert computerized analysis system and strips.

ETA: Ok, I ordered the liquid cya test kit.

In the meantime, would the FC level at least work on the algae even if it is slightly below shock level? Would it just take longer?

Neither of those results are worth the time it took you to type them in :) ...but I can understand your reluctance to buy the test at this point in the season. Just a comment though, the cya reagent is not one that goes bad quickly and will last multiple seasons. One option might be to pick up just the cya test.

It will help some, but the algae will likely just outgrow what you kill. If you are very far below it, its a waste of time and money. Honestly, there is no need to target below SLAM level. If you are going to put in that much, you might as well go all the way.

I'm glad you decided to get the CYA test chemicals for yourself. That will add a lot of confidence in establishing the right path to a sparkling pool.

The speed of color changes in the water vary quite a bit. With some type of algae, the colors are different, too. Most dead algae presents as greyish-white. If that is the case with yours, the first thing you will notice is a "dulling" of the green. It will still be a definite green, even a dark green, just not as bright or sharp-looking as when you started. This usually becomes gradually cloudy-green, then grey-green, then grey-teal, grey-blue, cloudy blue, clear blue. Take pictures and you'll be able to see the change (or not) more easily.

Thanks danacc! I actually did notice it being more of a cloudy green last night and I could see more of the brush in the water than I could before. Progress! I also emptied more water out and added fresh in, along with changing the filter out with a clean one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I didn't mention chlorine because that is a given in the slamming process. I am maintaining shock level (39 ppm) with chlorine until I meet the 3 parameters. (Using FAS-DPD test and Pool Calculator.)

Unfortunately, you/we still don't know what your correct FC SLAM level should be since you don't know your cya level. One other option in addition to buying the cya test reagents as mentioned above, is to buy the hth 6-way drop based test usually available at walmart. It has the cya test with enough reagent for about 2 tests (iirc).

Correct. My cya level is not accurate since it is from a pool store, and home test strip, but the chlorine level of 39 ppm seems to be doing the job. As of today, it is starting to turn a cloudy blue. If anything, my assumption would be, that my FC level may be higher than needed for shock level (cya lower than tested). I am much further along than the other two times I followed the pool store's algae fighting recommendation. :grrrr:

My cya test kit is coming in the mail. I should have an accurate cya reading by the weekend. In the meantime, I am going to keep doing what seems to be working.

Okay, I got my cya test kit. My cya is definitely 100 ppm, right on the line. I did it twice. I will do another partial drain/fill tomorrow evening.

Day 4 and it is still a cloudy light green. Using above description, I would say cloudy teal. I can see half of my ladder.

Chlorine: Last night my FC was 37.5, so I added a gallon of chlorine to up it to 39 ppm over night. I brushed the pool. CC= 1.5 ppm

Today (went home during lunch): FC= 33ppm I added 1 1/2 gallons of chlorine, would have added 2 full gallons but I am now out. I brushed the pool.

Tonight, I will test again and add needed chlorine to bring it back up to 39 ppm+.

bjb4ohio said:
Okay, I got my cya test kit. My cya is definitely 100 ppm, right on the line. I did it twice. I will do another partial drain/fill tomorrow evening.

Day 4 and it is still a cloudy light green. Using above description, I would say cloudy teal. I can see half of my ladder.

Chlorine: Last night my FC was 37.5, so I added a gallon of chlorine to up it to 39 ppm over night. I brushed the pool. CC= 1.5 ppm

Today (went home during lunch): FC= 33ppm I added 1 1/2 gallons of chlorine, would have added 2 full gallons but I am now out. I brushed the pool.

Tonight, I will test again and add needed chlorine to bring it back up to 39 ppm+.
The test tops out at 100 so you might try the dilution test as well. Dilute half your sample with tap water and retest. Double the result. If you still get 100 after you double you are good to go.

In my case, my CYA after a partial drain was still too high so I had to drain again to get a true reading on CYA.

Sorry if my continued posting is getting annoying. I am annoying myself with my pool drama.

I did the cya test with half and half. It came out to about 110-120 ppm. However, I did another partial drain/fill last night too. So, hopefully, it is closer to 100-110 now.

I added 3 gallons of chlorine last night since my FC was down to 33ppm, which would raise it to 42ppm. I figure that would cover the 110 cya reading. I will see here in a bit where my pool is at when I go home for lunch.

Some of us like the pool drama. Why else would we hang out here? :)

Just stick with the CYA/Chlorine charts and you'll be fine. Get that CYA worked down as you can, it will reduce chlorine use dramatically.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.