Chlorine Source

Rwagen

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2013
Rockford, MI
Have been buying 10% at Home Depot in the El Paso area but they are not restocking so I am looking for a new source. I found a distributor that can get me 55 gallon drums of 10% for $3.33 per gallon.

Question. Does anyone see any drawbacks to buying this way or anything I should think about prior to jumping into that size purchase? I am using about 12 gallons per week right now.

Rick

Chlorine has a shelf life.

From the chart at the bottom of this page, you can see the half life of 10% liquid chlorine at various temperatures. However, given that you're going through chlorine so fast, you'll run out long before you've come close to the half-life of 10%.

I think a better question is why is your pool eating so much chlorine? Adjusted for pool size, you're going through chlorine about 4x faster than I am.

Is that price of 3.33/(128*0.1)= $0.26/oz NaClO good in your area? Seems like you may be able to get that price with smaller/easier to transport volumes. With that said, if you keep going through that much chlorine, you will use that amount up in 1.5 months, which should be okay assuming you keep it out of the sun (assuming half life of 241 days at 80F).

I agree with thehoweels, your usage seems high. What is your cya level?

Twelve gallons of 10% a week in 30,000 gallons is about 6 ppm of FC a day. This is about double of what you should be using, so you either have a CYA problem or there are organics in the water. Post your test results and we'll go from there.

Welcome to TFP Rick!
I can get the same in the same package here in Odessa-Mildland for 3.02. Problem is handling the 55 drum. Not easy at all. At your usage, there is no need to worry about it going bad on you.

10% cost about $6.80 for two gallons at my local Walmart. A lot easier to handle than a 55 gal drum.

ping said:
Twelve gallons of 10% a week in 30,000 gallons is about 6 ppm of FC a day. This is about double of what you should be using, so you either have a CYA problem or there are organics in the water. Post your test results and we'll go from there.

Maybe, maybe not. That is a lot of pool, and a lot of hot sun in EP. Maybe he has a heavy load on the pool pretty often too.

I have been buying my chlorine (12.5%) in 30 gallon drums for a long time. Mine comes out to $2.26 a gallon. I haven't had any problem. I have used a 55 gallon drum once. That wasn't a problem either. I put a pump on it and pump out 1 gallon at a time and then put a plug on the end of the pump spout to try to keep it fresh.

Bloomfield said:
I have been buying my chlorine (12.5%) in 30 gallon drums for a long time. Mine comes out to $2.26 a gallon. I haven't had any problem. I have used a 55 gallon drum once. That wasn't a problem either. I put a pump on it and pump out 1 gallon at a time and then put a plug on the end of the pump spout to try to keep it fresh.

So I'm curious, thinking about buying it this way myself...how did you transport, unload, and handle a 458 lb drum of bleach?

With the concern from the group about how much I am adding, I went back to the pool calculator and did the numbers again. Must have calculated something wrong because this time I ended up with about 10 gallons per week.

My CYA is 96, down from 120ish and I know that makes me run a hire level of FC but I did not think that affected how much FC is lost each day. Right now I am losing between 4 and 5 ppm during the daylight hours. We have 4 people and one dog that are in it every day. We have never had a pool before so maybe the novelty will where off after a couple months which should reduce the consumption.

Am in the process of draining and filling in couple steps in order to get the CYA down to the proper range. That is how I moved from around 120 to the 96 number it is now.

The reason I started looking at bigger volume containers was because I am having trouble finding the 10% and stepping into normal 6% bleach means even more containers I have to get rid of.

I appreciate all the input.

Rick

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep, the CYA is a little high, but it looks like you understand that and are doing something about it. Just FYI, the bleach in stores now is 8.25% so that helps. Considering everything you mention, that isn't too bad of a usage IMO.

Brushpup, trust me when I say the only reason I am doing something about it is because I found this forum. The first month we lived here, the pool stores kicked my butt. Every time I went in there I came out $100 lighter. Over the past 3 weeks, the pool looks a lot better and I am spending less time and money on it.

Isaac-1, that was the path I was following when I found the guy selling 55gal drums. I will still call some more of the janitorial places to see what they offer though.

Rick

Brushpup said:
Bloomfield said:

So I'm curious, thinking about buying it this way myself...how did you transport, unload, and handle a 458 lb drum of bleach?
I have the truck that brings chemicals to my business, stop at my house and bring the 30 gallon barrel of chlorine once in a while. He then wheels it in place with a hand cart. Those 55 gallons drums are heavy though.

I'm glad you found us then. Pretty cool isn't it? Our janitor suppliers here were as high per gallon or more so than the grocery stores. The best price in bulk I've found was from UNIVAR. They are an industrial supplier of commodity chems. Very disappointing at 3.02/gallon of 12.5% because you can only get that price in a 55 drum. Smaller Qty is more.
:rant:

Robbie, I still am struggling a little with that too. We are set on Flagstone and I worry a little about my grass and plants too. I'll be pushing or a little over 30K gallons too.

I haven't researched a swg because I was clueless prior to finding this forum. I also just installed a liquidator so I do not have to manually add chlorine everyday. Now that I am figuring out how much chlorine I am actually using, that idea is sounding much better. Hate the thought of wasting $200 on the Liquidator though.

[/quote]
I have the truck that brings chemicals to my business, stop at my house and bring the 30 gallon barrel of chlorine once in a while. He then wheels it in place with a hand cart. Those 55 gallons drums are heavy though.[/quote]

They would drop it at our business too, but then I would have to get it home. Or, they will srop here for 125.00 a drum. Not good when it's a 150 or so for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.