Need to determine if SWG is working now

Aug 22, 2013
Ok so after my SLAM, and a few days of swimming, I have the pool balanced well (so I think).

PH - 7.8 - I will be adding some acid shortly
FC - 6
CC - 0.5 - yes, i know...
CYA - 60
TA - 90
CH - 350

My pool looks great, and I am ready to turn on my SWG again after the SLAM and am looking for advice on maybe what % to start with and how to determine if it's indeed working.

Turn the SWG on to 100% and crack open the union joint at the end of the cell. This will leak a little water out of the cell and it should measure higher in FC than a FC sample from the pool. Another way is to run it at 100% for the day and the FC should be higher at the end of the day compared to the FC measured in the morning.

The output % that you need will depend on the run time of the pump. Start with a 50% setting and see if the pool is losing or gaining FC in a 24 hour period then adjust as necessary. I like to use a high output % on the SWG and run the pump as few hours as possible to maintain a clean pool. My electrical cost is fairly high so I like to limit the pump run time.

So, I have done this suggestion. 100% on the SWG. I waited about 20 minutes and sampled the water on the downstream union. The result of the test shows me a FC 6 (maybe 6.5). Any thoughts on where the FC level should be with the SWG at 100%? or how much higher it should test than pool water?

SO it appears to me things are back to normal. Since last test results I've been running SWG at 100% 9 hours a day (2 days).

Latest results...just now

pH 7.8
FC 12
CC 0
TA 90
CYA 60
CH 320 (maybe I am still learning testing)

Im going to drop SWG to 50% now and see where I end up at pump shutdown today.
Also, I'm going to add some Baking Soda to raise the TA just a bit.

Any other ideas?

Seminole

Don't raise the TA. Since you have an swg it's even a little on the high side. Why do you think you need to raise it?
Most swg users find that a TA of under 70 works better for them. If you raise it your pH will no doubt rise rapidly.

Regarding recommendations on setting the SWG:

Get the pump run time where you like it first. Once you are happy with the run time, adjust the SWG percentage to hold the FC at about 6. This will give you a little buffer to prevent it dropping below 3. At least that's how I set mine. You might want to check FC just before the pump starts back up the next day to ensure your FC is holding above 3 or 4, if not you can bump the percentage up a little more.

Carefully raising CYA to 70-80 might help holding FC during the time the pump doesn't run.

When to run it, there are different schools of thought on. I like to run mine during the day so FC stays stable. Some like to run it at night so FC builds and has opportunity to work harder on just the pool instead of getting consumed by the sun, then it has an abundance of FC to hold through the daytime.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As for the CYA - 60, Iv'e tested with the TF-100, and just as the kit says, when the black dot disappears is at 60, of course I am a rookie at the determination of exactly when that occurs so it could be a little earlier raising the CYA to maybe 70 I'd guess. I am going to have to drain some water as well, as we had a big rain yesterday.

ok, another day in my saga.

tested this am.

CYA 60
FC 11
CC 0

I am going to assume my SWG is working now, it has been set to 65% for last 24 hours (pump time of 10 total).

Two questions now...

Am I correct in assuming the SWG is functioning correctly?

Shall I add some CYA to raise the level a little more?

I believe the SWG is working as it should and that you should bump up the CYA.

Always check FC a couple times a week to make sure all is well with the SWG. Most of the time I use the OTO test and make sure it is bright yellow.

Yes, I would agree, just leaning on y'all a bit. I'll address the CYA as you suggested.

OTO! Bright Yellow... Got it. It is right now, and I'll decrease the % some so to be closer to the FC 6.

Thanks!
Seminole

Ok so Since my last post.

Pool is clear and seemingly stable.

CYA - 80
FC - 11
CC - 0
TA - 80
Ph - 7.5
CH - 350

SO, I am looking for further advice to lower the FC. I've been running the SWG at 25% for 2 days now and the FC level is about unchanged note- my display shows the SWG (Chlorinator Off / Percentage Met). I can tell the FC is high (to me) as I am swimming. It is raining some today and I am trying to avoid adding water hoping for more rain. Is this the only way to get my FC down other than maybe turning the pump run time down?(it's at 9 hours on HIGH)

SWG's need to be adjusted about this time of year due to the weather and the sun being lower in the sky than during the summer. We are finally having summer temps for the last couple of weeks where I'm at, but I have cut back on pump run time and % output.

Try turning the SWG down to 0% until the FC drops to 6 ppm, be sure to test daily.

Running on high speed for 9 hours seems like a big waste of electricity to me if your SWG works on low speed. I'm down to a 9 hour run with 8 hours of it on low speed. During the winter I'll only run for 3 hours with 1/2 hour on high speed. Each pool will be different on it's run time, but I recommend for you to start experimenting on low speed and reducing the pump time. If your electrical rates are high, it is best to run a higher % on the SWG and keep the pump run time to the minimum that keeps the pool clean.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.