Closing a green AGP?

tj_royersford

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 24, 2009
Philadelphia PA area
I'm helping out a friend who just bought a house with a 10,000 gallon AGP. Needless to say it's bright green. I helped him run some initial tests using my kit and started him off on SLAMing it (still using my kit). We are still in the middle of this with readings like:

FC: 15
CC:1.5 (down from 2 when we started)
CYA:35
pH:7.2
forget the TA and CH values (log sheet is at his place) but they were reasonable.

The short of it though is that he and his wife don't have the time and money to continue SLAMing it back to sparkling (currently trying to sell old house and floating two mortgages, 2 young kids, etc). They can't even move into the new place for another month. So they've asked me whether it's possible to just close it as is (still green) and deal with it in the spring when they can dedicate time and money to it.

Are there any long-term concerns with closing it while green that I should pass on to them?

tj_royersford said:
Thanks! They'll be happy to know that. I'll tell them to start stocking up on bleach now so they are ready for the spring :)

Wait on the stocking up of bleach as it loses potency over time. They may want to begin stocking up after Christmas though as it is a shorter span pf time and should not effect potency too much.

I buy mine at Aldi's. $1.29 per gal for a 6% solution. Seems to do me fine. I was getting the 12% and 8.25% but it seemed the cost was too much. I get 4 gals every 2 weeks to maintain pool but when I started in spring I used several gallons to get up to speed.

Closing it green is not a huge issue. It may be cheaper to do a dump and fill depending on the level of green in the spring. I would do this during the "low" cost season for water if it goes up during the summer month. It could cost less $$$ in water than in chlorine/filtering/time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.