Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Running Valave actuator with a switch

1. Back To Top    #1

Running Valave actuator with a switch

Hello - I have read here that you can run a valve actuator with a switch. I have found wiring diagrams in some of the owners manuals. It looks like you need a timer or a switch, 24 vac transformer and a single pole double action relay. If I am reading these diagrams correctly, the actuator always has power going to it and only stops because of internal limit switches. Is this correct? I am surprised if this is right because of possible switch failure and the transformer is always engergized.

Am I missing something?

Anthony
    Dallas area, free form, quartz finish, flagstone, pentair cartridge, vs pump, swg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Running Valave actuator with a switch

Quote Originally Posted by aiannar974
    Am I missing something?
    Actuators usually have a built in switch on the bottom and maybe that is what you were reading about. Actuators are normally run by a controller and the switch is used to change the direction of the actuator (on vs off) but you can also use it as a temporary bypass. You could probably build you own power supply and just use the built in switch but then why have the actuator? It is much easier to just move the valves by hand.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Running Valave actuator with a switch

Only reason is to bring the control of the actuator over to the porch. This could be a switch, a timing switch or an insteon switch. I just cannot justify hundreds of dollars for a control when I have a pool with a light, a waterfall and no spa or heater.
    Dallas area, free form, quartz finish, flagstone, pentair cartridge, vs pump, swg