Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Heat Transfer Tools Spreadsheet

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Heat Transfer Tools Spreadsheet

I recently added the "Pool Heat Transfer Tools" spreadsheet to my list here if anyone is interested. I have been working on this one for some time and attempting to calibrate the results against my own pool. It gets pretty close to actual pool water temperature. Here is a list of features:

• Heat Txfr - Estimates heat loss and gain from a full heat transfer model that includes the effects of the sun, solar panels, NG heater, heat pump, and environmental conditions. It downloads weather data from the internet based upon your location so an internet connection is required. It will also estimate the amount of water lost per day/week due to evaporation.

Heaters - Compares operation costs of NG heaters and Heat pumps in a simpler format than above.

Pipe Loss - Estimates the heat loss from a pipe with or without insulation.

Pipe Freeze - Estimates how long it would take for a pipe to freeze.

One of the biggest challenges was to get the Sky Temperature estimate correct for the radiative losses. There are many models for this but the one that seemed to work the best for my situation was to measure my own sky temperature and calculate the emissivity . Unfortunately, this may not work well for all locations which is why I would be interested in other's experiences.

Most of the formulas used are from established sources such as: RSPEC

Download Pool Heat Transfer Tools Here

Keep in mind that this is still a work in progress and far from perfect but feedback and suggestions are always welcome.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Heat Transfer Tools Spreadsheet

I can download your other spreadsheets, but for this one I get the following error:

403. Thatís an error.
    We're sorry, but you do not have access to this page. Thatís all we know.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

My mistake. Forgot to set the permission. Please try it again.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Hello Mark,
    Getting a Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications issue.
    Compile error in hidden module: TimeFunctions
    This error commonly occures when code is incompatible with the version, platform, or architecture of this application.

compile error in hidden module: TimeFunctions
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

Currently, the SS is Windows only. I am working on a version that will hopefully work on both.
    Mark

6. Back To Top    #6

I get an error as well as I use a Mac:
    Run-time error '438':

Object doesn't support this property or method
    As soon as you have a version that works on the Mac, I'll take a look.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks to Richard, the spreadsheet now works for Macs too.
    Mark

8. Back To Top    #8

I found an issue with the weather update table query in the SS so if you were having trouble try this new version (same link): Download Pool Heat Transfer Tools Here
    Mark