Can I use Basic OTO Test for Bromine?

Apr 28, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
It may be a little OCD, but I want to test the bromine level (and maybe other stuff) for the private hot tub when I am on vacation using my timeshare. Anecdotally, I've heard that the maintenance of those can be a little off. I use chlorine at home and I don't really know a whole lot about bromine and above ground spas. My understanding is that they are using bromine, though I will double check that. Can I use the Chlorine reagent in the Taylor Basic OTO test, for Bromine testing, or do I need to buy a different reagent? I also have the full test kit, so if that would be more suitable, I can bring that with me instead. What kind of number range am I looking for?

The same test dyes are used for chlorine and bromine tests so yes, you can use your OTO test if you like or you can use a DPD test or even a FAS-DPD test. Just multiply your chlorine result by 2.25 to get the bromine result. Note that you can only really test for Total Bromine and cannot distinguish Free Bromine from Combined Bromine (because the Combined Bromine reacts with the dye, unlike combined chlorine).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.