Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will CYA dissapate ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Northern NJ

Will CYA dissapate ?

Hi, I know my cya level needs to be reduced by draining my pool by what the pool calculator tells me. But my question is: I am closing my pool in the next week or so. Will cya levels dissapate over the winter?
    36,000 gal IG vinyl. Haywood pump and heater Hayward DE filter blue diamond robot. Hayward Aqua Rite SWG AQR-15

2. Back To Top    #2
    DFW, Texas

Re: Will CYA dissapate ?

It is possible, but I wouldn't bet on it. In rare occasions, CYA can be degraded (consumed) by bacteria. Although there are several posts on the forum where users have experienced this, it is quite rare relative to the installed base of pools.

If you want to read more about this, here is an article which goes into some technical details: Degradation of Cyanuric Acid (CYA)
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Houston, Texas

Hi, welcome to TFP! No, CYA will not dissipate over winter. There are some rare situations that cause CYA to be consumed, but for the most part if you close with CYA in the winter you will open with CYA in the spring.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

That depends on what you mean by closing. If you live somewhere where it freezes and you drain below the skimmers when you close, it will get diluted in the spring when you refill. Or if the cover is porous and you get a lot of rain and snow. But don't count on it breaking down and disappearing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!