NEW SAFETY COVER purchase advice/suggestions needed

Jun 13, 2013
Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a safety cover for the 1st time on my 3yr old 32x16 in ground kidney shaped pool w waterfall. Paver coping and landscape.
I was wondering ...
A- if anyone has a site suggestion for a good deal
B- vendorwise had narrowed it down to Meyco, HPI, Merlin but am open to another suggestion. Don't want to get a cheap cover, just a cover for a good price as I don't want to pay extra just based on name brand (loop loc)
C- finally I was going to go w solid cover center drain. Any reason not to go with this? Thank you!

You think looploc cost more for just the name? Curious how you know that. I've read a lot about the contruction differences and the money seems go towards the product. Having said that, I'm still waiting for mine to show up- ordered it July 31st and now I'm getting worried with the leaves starting to fall here already.

I am also looking for some advice. I am replacing a loop loc mesh cover and was thinking of going with the loop loc solid cover with mesh drain panels. The reason for the solid cover is that i get a lot of debris in the pool when i open it. I don't have a problem with algae just fine silt. However one company i talked to said that the loop loc solid cover with mesh would allow all the debris under that one mesh panel in the pool. He also mentioned that the solid cover would be extremely heavy and that loop loc had a lot of trouble with their solid covers falling apart. Cover size is 20 by 47. He strongly recommended the merlin smartmesh cover. He said that the smartmesh cover was so fine that minimal debris would fall in. Does that sound correct. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I should correct myself, not just name but I believe most of it is overkill. It compares to a leather belt. The purpose is to hold your pants up. As long as it is stitched well and the buckle doesn't break why pay $90 for Armani when you can get Calvin Klein for $30? Don't mean to sound ignorant either, there are plenty of budget covers too that can't compare to Loop Loc and will rip a lot sooner. My main point was that I needed a durable reliable cover, the Honda of covers if you will, don't need the Mercedes in this case but I also don't want the Kia lol
Good luck man, not only expensive but time consuming! I emailed for quotes and various companies don't even get back to you, guess economy is great for them

Kevin, through my research I found that the mesh covers no matter how fine still allow some sunlight which would cause algae. So your debris issue might go away but a new one might pop up. Some companies sell a cover mate which is a light but solid floating blanket to go under the safety cover and at a very minimal cost (under $200). It might help you more tho if one of the other members w more experience, and that has had this cover you are looking into, can comment.

I asked the pool guys who measured for my cover which one they recommended- and he wasn't the salesguy, just the mechanic/installer. He said the solid with mesh drains is the best of both worlds. Keeps more debris out, and you don't need a cover pump and worry about big pools of water on top.

@zimm I am curious as to how your install went and how satisfied you are with your loop loc cover. I eventually went with it as well as the diff in price was only around $100 +/- to the next best brand w the certainty that I was getting top of the line I couldn't pass. Not installed yet but due next week my quote was $3000 even including tax, install and closing of the pool for blue (more $) solid w mesh drains. Free form pool (kidney shaped w waterfall and pavers, all of which add cost to estimate) I found that it was a very fair deal and possibly lower because of the time of year. What was your cost if you don't mind me asking?

Love it! The install could be been a little better. They were obviously new at installing- drilled a few holes, called their boss, he showed up and showed them how to do it. So I have 4 anchors that are "off" by about 4 inches. They offered to re-drill the holes and either install 4 extra anchors, epoxy the empty holes, or leave it as it. I just left it. Figured I didn't need extra holes in my deck. Cover is holding up great. I did have to pump a foot of water out of the pool after we had 4" and 3 days of rain. I'll have to keep on top of the water levels through the winter.

Looks good! So with the mesh drains you still had to pump water? And does my estimate at least compare well with yours? Based on a few estimates I received in my area that was the best deal I could find. Had a few from pool stores for the same cover $500+. Had other brands quoted only $350 less if I installed it and also had other brands actually quoted for more including install.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.