Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question regarding PVC size when hard plumbing

1. Back To Top    #1

Question regarding PVC size when hard plumbing

I have read about the use of 2' vs 2.5" PVC when hard plumbing pumps and filters. I don't understand how I get to choose. Wouldn't I need to use what ever size is dictated by the ports on the equipment?

I know I used adapters on the SandPro to connect to the intex plunger valves. But we're only talking like a .25" difference.

If the pump and filter have 1.5" ports, how would it benefit me to go to 2" or 2.5" piping. I'm picturing bottlenecking / higher pressure at one end and low pressure on the other.

Kind of like a highway going from 2 lanes to 4 , pressure drops. Then abruptly returns to 2 lanes, pressure builds. Then finally releases into 4 lanes, lower pressure again, then thru the final 2 lane restrictive gate (this would be the return), higher pressure. Am I anywhere near correct? Is it that final push thru the return (causing better circulation) that we like?

In layman's terms please. I'm no plumber.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question regarding PVC size when hard plumbing

Bottlenecking is not ideal, but keeping as much of the plumbing large will reduce a lot of the head loss in the pipes due to lower flow velocity. With that said, if you are not already planning on it, I would replace those intex plunger valves since they are very restrictive (and tend to break easily).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Already bypassed one plunger valve when I installed the skimmer. I have the return eye that came with the skimmer and plan to replace the return plunger with it.

So, should I go as large as 2.5" ? Or stick with 2". Keeping in mind that if I come across a 3/4 hp 2 SP pump I'm going to trade out the 1.5 hp. If this matters.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!

4. Back To Top    #4

As water flows through the pipe it constantly loses pressure. If there is a bottle neck in the line the pressure drops more through the bottle neck but does not gain any pressure after passing through the bottle neck. The difference between 2" and 2.5" will be minimal due to short length of pipe and low flows.
    15x30 above ground pool
    Hayward S180T Sand Filter with 1.5 hp pump
    Central Kentucky

5. Back To Top    #5

2" is more than adequate. No real reason to go to 2.5" unless you have a very big pump ... plus it is harder to find 2.5" pipe and fittings.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank y'all for the info. Looks like it'll be 2" then. Cool. Can't wait to get started. Thunderstorm right now.

Angie M.

7. Back To Top    #7

Taterfink...post pics! I'm closing my pool today, but pouring a small concrete pad and might dry-fit the PVC in the next week to be ready for next year.
    18' round above ground, vinyl liner, 48" deep (flat), Confer Step1 steps. Approximately 7600 gallons. Waterways/Proline FC075 cartridge filter. 75GPM (71 minute complete cycle), 75 sq ft filtration area.