Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH concern in vinyl SWG pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

CH concern in vinyl SWG pool?

Hi,
    I'm getting ready to convert to SWG. Reading the online manual for the Aqua Trol http://www.goldlinecontrols.com/Support ... 16G_SS.pdf it says you need a level of CH above 200ppm. They have a formula for "Saturation Index" that makes this CH level important. What about this with a vinyl pool? Currently my CH is 100 or less. Pool Calculator.com says I'll need to add about 20# of calcium chloride. Is this really a concern for a vinyl SWG pool?
    Sorry to be dense, the manual says do it, but I gotta ask since it is contrary to most vinyl pool info.

Steve
    -ePoolUser Steve

27'x52" AG, 16,500 gal. Aqua Trol HP SWG,
    2hp pump, 150 sqft 100GPH Cartridge Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit, Zodiac Vac
    Installed July 2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CH concern in vinyl SWG pool?

get your CH to about 150 ppm and call it a day. With a vinyl pool you can run with a saturation index on the 'aggressive" side. It won't be a problem.

3. Back To Top    #3

Waterbear,

Wouldn't you think there would be a problem if he had a copper heat exchanger heater? Back in the day when we still had cupricnickle heat exchangers in the Heat Wave Heat Pumps, we had many heat exchanger failures due to aggressive water. Mostly due to tab feeders plumbed before the heat pump, but none the less, some were contributed to poor water chemistry.

Just a thought
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Poolsean
    Waterbear,

Wouldn't you think there would be a problem if he had a copper heat exchanger heater? Back in the day when we still had cupricnickle heat exchangers in the Heat Wave Heat Pumps, we had many heat exchanger failures due to aggressive water. Mostly due to tab feeders plumbed before the heat pump, but none the less, some were contributed to poor water chemistry.

Just a thought
    No, there is NO correlation between the saturation index and whether water is aggressive towards metals. (At least the LSI). It will predict scale formation but not corrosion. There other indicies that can predict corrosion to an extent but we don't use them with pools.