Chandler, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I bought a house in April this year with a pool and there were a few cracks/separation in the Pebbletec. Nothing that was going to fall off right away, but it was noticeable. I started the pool all over with all fresh stuff (water, salt, blasted the sides, etc.) so I decided that it'd be a good time to get the Pebbletec repaired while the pool was being scrubbed down and emptied. I hired a guy that was recommended to me and he did the work... but I'm not so sure of the job that was done.

So my question is - what is the standard for Pebbletec repair?

BEFORE: Prior to the work there was a crack going straight down from the skimmer lid to the actual skimmer opening. About 2 feet away there was a crack that was separating from the wall.

AFTER: There is no crack or separation. However, there is a difference between the levels of Pebbletec. On the skimmer part you can clearly see where it was cut out and new placed in. The new is about 2mm more shallow than the rest of the surrounding Pebbletec. On the part that was separated away I can see a definite line all around where it was cut away and then new stuff put in - the level on this is fine.

So for the skimmer part, my issue is just the aesthetics of it.

For the separated part my issue is function - will water/salt/chemicals get in the crack over time and eventually break that piece back off?

I'm not sure if I am being unrealistic or what so I'm asking ya'lls opinion on this issue of what you would expect.

PS - Yes, I already contacted them to come out and see if that is a job they would stand by and vouch for. And if they would if they would give any guarantee on it. They said they would come out and look at it, but have not visited yet.

PS2 - Yes, I understand that this thread probably is worthless without pictures. I am at work (yes, 12:48am) right now and can't take pictures.

A new plaster patch will never match the old and original plaster work. So the aesthetic issue cannot be eliminated completely.
If there is no gap or crack between the new plaster patch and old plaster, it is doubtful that water will penetrate and cause more problems.
However, delamination is always at play, especially since that may have been the original problem to start with.
Pictures would help to assess the situation much easier.

Hopefully I will be able to get some pictures today of the job they did to better help.

I understand that there might be a slight color imbalance (they warned me about this, and I'm OK with this) - I'm more concerned with it being an obvious level difference between old and new.

Thanks Brushpup and onBalance.

This is a long time coming and I apologize for being slow to get pictures.

Before:
[attachment=2:2kqtfy95]20130920_Pebbletec Repair_01.jpg[/attachment:2kqtfy95]

After:
[attachment=0:2kqtfy95]20130920_Pebbletec Repair_07.JPG[/attachment:2kqtfy95]

Details:
You can see the line going down that is a different depth as the old Pebbletec.
[attachment=1:2kqtfy95]20130920_Pebbletec Repair_02.JPG[/attachment:2kqtfy95]

Attachments

• 20130920_Pebbletec Repair_01.jpg
    20130920_Pebbletec Repair_01.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 286
  • 20130920_Pebbletec Repair_02.JPG
    20130920_Pebbletec Repair_02.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 283
  • 20130920_Pebbletec Repair_07.JPG
    20130920_Pebbletec Repair_07.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 278
Details continued...
You can see the line here in better detail. The levels are completely different. I don't remember the skimmer lip being broken either because now the flap gets stuck there.
[attachment=2:32lsvdks]20130920_Pebbletec Repair_03.JPG[/attachment:32lsvdks]

Curved part. Side "mends" have gaps. At time of this picture, buildup in the cracks. Probably salt?
[attachment=1:32lsvdks]20130920_Pebbletec Repair_04.JPG[/attachment:32lsvdks]

Both sides have gaps.
[attachment=0:32lsvdks]20130920_Pebbletec Repair_06.JPG[/attachment:32lsvdks]

Attachments

• 20130920_Pebbletec Repair_03.JPG
    20130920_Pebbletec Repair_03.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 265
  • 20130920_Pebbletec Repair_04.JPG
    20130920_Pebbletec Repair_04.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 260
  • 20130920_Pebbletec Repair_06.JPG
    20130920_Pebbletec Repair_06.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 259
So again, I'm wondering if this is a normal repair or if it is a sloppy repair. In other words, would you be happy paying $$$ to have this done?

A couple of thoughts.

1. That is a crack that extends down into the surface of your coping. It is going to reappear. This is a cosmetic fix. You will get more cracks. This just happens to be the weakest point. You need some form of control joints.

2. They could match the color better.

3. As constructed this coping will crack. The big problem here is not the repair but the structure of the original construction

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
gwegan said:
A couple of thoughts.

1. That is a crack that extends down into the surface of your coping. It is going to reappear. This is a cosmetic fix. You will get more cracks. This just happens to be the weakest point. You need some form of control joints.

2. They could match the color better.

3. As constructed this coping will crack. The big problem here is not the repair but the structure of the original construction
I'm not completely sure what you mean by that I need control joints.
Yes, they could match it better. However, they did mention that it would eventually come more to terms as the sun beat down on it. My main concern is the function/function.
I can agree that the convex coping is a weak point. However, other locations are constructed the same. About 2' to the right of the picture is another corner just like it that doesn't have any signs of cracking.

I guess my biggest concern is not a construction issue but whether the work done is going to expedite any future cracking.

That patchwork (pictures above) appears to be adequate and should help prevent further damage and cracking. But unfortunately, it would be difficult to determine whether more cracking will occur or not.

The actual guy that did the work came out and added some more to try to smooth it out. It looks a lot more round and we will see if it fades out to match the color any more.

With that said, the pool guy did say that Pebbletec is no longer made in the manner my pool is made (with the Pebbletec rounded at the top). He said they only make it on generally flat surfaces and put something like pavers on top these days.

Control joints are separations in the concrete that are installed on purpose or saw cuts made in strategic spots to control where the cracking occurs. Concrete shrinks when it cures and it has a pretty significant thermal expansion and contraction. As a result, concrete cracks. On an exposed surface such as your coping, there is quite a bit of movement. If you build it with control joints, you won't end up with random cracks. That's why sidewalks have all of those nice joints in them. Next time it happens, just make the crack into a nice neat cut with a diamond blade in a grinder and then use caulk to seal it. The flexible caulk will allow the concrete to move while keeping the water out.

If concrete is sufficiently reinforced with rebar, the steel controls the cracking but with unreinforced concrete or concrete that only has welded wire mesh in it, you will see cracking.

Diyindux comments are exactly right.
And the pool guy is right, a Pebbletec surface should not be made to be above the water line, and never should made to be rounded up over the deck area where it will dry out.
That always creates a shrinkage and expansion problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.