CYA and PH Reading

Wildcat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2013
Tucson, AZ
The forum as told me that with high CYA PH can read higher then it really is.Is there a correction factor that will allow me to gauge my true PH? I am working on my CYA but it is 125-130 and my PH measures at 7.5. What is it really?

There is no "correction factor", sorry. If you want an accurate PH reading you'll have to let your chlorine level drop below 10. Thats assuming its above 10 now. If its not its too low for your CYA level and you're risking an algae outbreak.

Wildcat said:
The forum as told me that with high CYA PH can read higher then it really is.Is there a correction factor that will allow me to gauge my true PH? I am working on my CYA but it is 125-130 and my PH measures at 7.5. What is it really?

This forum told you high CYA will skew your pH? I must misunderstand you.

Maybe you have this mixed up with high FC on the color block test.

Wildcat said:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/ph-at-high-fc-levels-t11428.html
I should have done a search before asking my question. I actually understand most of the answer. But where is a chlorphenol color chart to be found? It seems to say that allows a reading even at high FC

For an FC below 20, using Taylor chemicals, you won't get an accurate reading by looking at a chlorphenol color chart. The thread you referenced from The Deep End explains this. All of the recommended test kits - Taylor's, Leslie's, and the TF-100 - use Taylor chemicals.

The standard recommendation here is to lower CYA, for this reason as well as others.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JamesW said:
Most likely the pH reading is correct. For your cya, you can maintain an fc of 9.5, which will help you obtain a more reliable ph reading.
I guess I thought it was best to maintain my target level than the minimum. I think target level fo rmy CYA of around 125 is 16. Maybe I'll let it drop to the minimum in order to check the PH and then bring it up some to be safe.

Just my luck as i am trying to count on rain water to help my refill we have had lower than average rain this monsoon season. Less than 4 inches and we had around 10 last year.

For your CYA, I would keep the FC in the 10 to 20 range, but as close to 10 ppm as possible without going under. A lot depends on how frequently you test and add more chlorine. 15 to 18 ppm is fine is that's what it takes to ensure that you never go below 10 ppm.

Ideally, it would be best to get the CYA down to a better level.

I think that your pH readings are probably accurate as long as you are mixing the sample and matching the color right away.

The risk is that if the pH is reading a false high due to high chlorine, then the pH might be too low. However, based on the TA, I don't think that it is.

JamesW said:
For your CYA, I would keep the FC in the 10 to 20 range, but as close to 10 ppm as possible without going under.

The risk is that if the pH is reading a false high due to high chlorine, then the pH might be too low. However, based on the TA, I don't think that it is.
Yes, that is what I inferred also, that with my TA PH is probably about right.

Another 100 degree day in Tucson. Looks like it could be a long pool season

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.