Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Marketplace to sell pool related items?

1. Back To Top    #1

Marketplace to sell pool related items?

Why no dedicated forum for pool items to be sold to members? Both member to member and advertising vendors to members?
    It would be a great way for TFP to generate advertising/vendor fees and give the members a place to sell unneeded pool related items.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Marketplace to sell pool related items?

I'll answer on vendors from my perspective. I've been on other non pool forums with banners and commercial sellers and they are awful. Banners and pop-ups in threads and elsewhere make a forum experience painful IMO. Just terrible.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with vender ads. However, when we were in the middle of our pool build, I would have LOVED to be able to purchase some used stuff from the nice people here. For instance, my kids would love a basketball hoop for the pool, but I don't want to pay full price for something we would only use for a couple years. Likewise, I'm sure there are some empty nesters out there that would like to sell some family fun they don't use any more. Just a thought.
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

4. Back To Top    #4

I would imagine that best case scenario would be to keep the vendor banners or ads in the forum. That way if you're wanting to see them click in and look, if not, you wouldn't even notice if they were there.

I too would have loved to purchase directly from forum vendors. Having just upgraded to a new Intelliflo VF, new Easytouch, and new Stenner setup, I had to buy from vendors that I knew nothing about and I'm sure they didn't give me a second thought as well.
    I now find myself replacing my EasyTouch 4 control board to increase from 4 relays to 8 and then selling a 2 month old board over on eBay. I'd much rather pass the savings on to a member here.

5. Back To Top    #5

We used to have a for sale area, but no one posted anything for sale in it, so we got rid of it.

You can post non-commercial for sale items in the Coffee Bar area (if you have anything to sell).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I will say, if you read for while here, you will see vendors that are worth your business, we just don't have any "reviews" areas.

Based on my other forum readings, I have found having a review section tends to lead to bad behaviors and bad feelings. While it can provide a place for nice and happy customers to post nice and happy comments; it provides a single place for an angry customer to focus on their personal issues. The problem I see is that it's not a fair forum for the vendor to address the same issue. The vendor can't delve into a customers specific concerns in a public form and the non-public member gets to hide behind a screen name and throw dirt.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Excellent post, tech guy, and you nailed the dilemma pretty good.

While it seems obvious that peer-to-peer endorsements of vendors or products should be a good thing, you really never know if it is peer-to-peer or (often) masquerader-to-peer.

The moderators work very hard at filtering out "drive-by" slammers of products or manufacturers simply because we cannot possibly verify their story. While many complaints may be legit, competitors can pretend to be somebody else or personal grudges and experiences can completely cloud up any endorsement or negativity.

The "bad guy" almost never has the opportunity to present his side of the story so TFP frowns upon any rant from first-time posters or anything that looks suspicious...either in an endorsement or a slam.

TFP is quite proud of it's reputation as a friendly, mannerly place and the Moderators are the intuitive brains behind the scene that makes our reputation pretty darn valid.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Back to the original subject, I really pushed the idea of a "classified" section when seanB owned the forum.....it failed clearly and completely.

I think we removed it in less than 4 months.....there was simply no activity.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

I read a scooter forum for years and it was similar to TFP, it was moderated and generally very positive and it has a couple vendors that are active posters but do not promote their product/store/dealership in the forums. Members do promote them when they see fit but when someone has an issue with the vendor, the conversation is not permitted and the poster is guided to contact the vendor directly and not permitted to air dirty laundry.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100