new to site and doing research....

Sep 1, 2013
indy
Merged posts to help maintain history. Butterfly

hello everyone , I am new to this site as of today. I was doing some research about aqua smarte sys and your site came up . I started reading about the silver and before you know it , I found out what I needed to know. word for word on what happened to me with being the 3rd year of using the sys, my cya levels are thru the roof and I have a very high chlorine level, but I have a green pool. its nice to see others have went thru this and that there are answers

Welcome to the forum :wave:

You stated in your first post that your CYA was
thru the roof
, and we would like to confirm before we tell you how to lower chlorine levels, (as it might well need to be raised rather than lowered). If you can post a full set of test results & tell us how you got them, it would be very helpful.

Which Taylor test kit are you using, I don't know of any that will measure TC to 10 ppm (without diluting the sample) , the standard OTO or DPD test only measure TC to 5 ppm, and the FAS-DPD test will measure much higher, but measures FC and CC separately (TC=FC+CC)

Ike

just did another test, here are the results. fc-5+, ph-7.2, ta-130, ch-380, cya - 120. the reading I gave earlier for the fc, was from test strips aquachek select. the strips go up to 10. the chlorine is dropping slowly and I guess I need to drain out more water and add again to get the cya down. I am having trouble getting the ta to drop down, and I did add some dry acid to try to lower it but it only lowered the ph

In regards to your pool stats... Is the 52" your actual water depth or is that the height of the pool? The reason I ask is that that number will determine your actual total volume which is important when making calculations for adjustments to your pool. Given a 24' diameter pool your water volume will be about 282 gallons per inch so figure from there once you're sure of actual water depth. As to your CYA level of 120 you're going to need to drain 2/3rds of your water to lower that into the recommended range of 30 to 50.

Given your current stats, a CYA of 120 requires a FC level of ~10 minimum with a target of ~15, so unless you're going to drain soon you need to bump your level up. Consult the Chlorine/CYA Chart.

tlblack said:
I am having trouble getting the ta to drop down, and I did add some dry acid to try to lower it but it only lowered the ph

Don't worry about adding anything for TA right now. Concentrate on draining and refilling to get CYA down. Your pH is good at 7.2. The next step is to get your FC to the SLAM level correct for your CYA. When you are done slamming you can address any other issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
what is slam level? I am draining again now but it looks like this season is about over . by the time the water warms back up to temps we can swim in it will take another month of hot weather, then I will be fighting all the leafs. I think next year I will throw the aqua smarte sys in the trash can and go with aqua trol sys from hayward . everyone seems to like the salt sys and no cya from the powder shock and tabs. I would rather add cya on my own when needed. any pros or cons on this sys I would love to hear them

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.