Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new to site and doing research....

1. Back To Top    #1

new to site and doing research....

Merged posts to help maintain history. Butterfly

hello everyone , I am new to this site as of today. I was doing some research about aqua smarte sys and your site came up . I started reading about the silver and before you know it , I found out what I needed to know. word for word on what happened to me with being the 3rd year of using the sys, my cya levels are thru the roof and I have a very high chlorine level, but I have a green pool. its nice to see others have went thru this and that there are answers
    13500 gal , above ground 24 round 52 deep, vinyl, 200lbs sand filter,, 1.5 hp one speed, aqua trol-rj

2. Back To Top    #2

high chlorine levels

what can I use to lower my chlorine levels , its to high about 5+ and staying there. and i am not putting any in for two days
    13500 gal , above ground 24 round 52 deep, vinyl, 200lbs sand filter,, 1.5 hp one speed, aqua trol-rj

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: high chlorine levels

What test kit are you using and what is your CYA level ?

Your CYA level and your FC levels go hand in hand.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: new to site and doing research....

Welcome to the forum

You stated in your first post that your CYA was
    thru the roof
    , and we would like to confirm before we tell you how to lower chlorine levels, (as it might well need to be raised rather than lowered). If you can post a full set of test results & tell us how you got them, it would be very helpful.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

th-500 tc 10 ph 7.4 ta 120 cya 130 testing now with a taylor test kit I was using strips but they went to the trash

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

If your cya is that high you need to lower that by partially draining and refill. That is the number you need to focus on lowering right now. http://www.poolcalculator.com/ can help you figure how much water you need to replace.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

7. Back To Top    #7

Which Taylor test kit are you using, I don't know of any that will measure TC to 10 ppm (without diluting the sample) , the standard OTO or DPD test only measure TC to 5 ppm, and the FAS-DPD test will measure much higher, but measures FC and CC separately (TC=FC+CC)

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

just did another test, here are the results. fc-5+, ph-7.2, ta-130, ch-380, cya - 120. the reading I gave earlier for the fc, was from test strips aquachek select. the strips go up to 10. the chlorine is dropping slowly and I guess I need to drain out more water and add again to get the cya down. I am having trouble getting the ta to drop down, and I did add some dry acid to try to lower it but it only lowered the ph

9. Back To Top    #9

In regards to your pool stats... Is the 52" your actual water depth or is that the height of the pool? The reason I ask is that that number will determine your actual total volume which is important when making calculations for adjustments to your pool. Given a 24' diameter pool your water volume will be about 282 gallons per inch so figure from there once you're sure of actual water depth. As to your CYA level of 120 you're going to need to drain 2/3rds of your water to lower that into the recommended range of 30 to 50.

Given your current stats, a CYA of 120 requires a FC level of ~10 minimum with a target of ~15, so unless you're going to drain soon you need to bump your level up. Consult the Chlorine/CYA Chart.
    "The early bird might get the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese." ~ W. Rian Adams
    Relative's IG Vinyl | 16x32 | ~18,600 gals | Hayward 3/4hp Pump | Hayward S244T Filter | Pentair Model 300 Chlorinator (not used) | Polaris 180

10. Back To Top    #10

new to site and doing research....

Quote Originally Posted by tlblack
    I am having trouble getting the ta to drop down, and I did add some dry acid to try to lower it but it only lowered the ph
    Don't worry about adding anything for TA right now. Concentrate on draining and refilling to get CYA down. Your pH is good at 7.2. The next step is to get your FC to the SLAM level correct for your CYA. When you are done slamming you can address any other issues.
    16' x 32' IG vinyl liner w/ hopper bottom (12,500 gal), Single-speed 1 HP Sta-Rite pump, and 300# Cristal-Flo sand filter, TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

+1 what nedchavez just posted.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

what is slam level? I am draining again now but it looks like this season is about over . by the time the water warms back up to temps we can swim in it will take another month of hot weather, then I will be fighting all the leafs. I think next year I will throw the aqua smarte sys in the trash can and go with aqua trol sys from hayward . everyone seems to like the salt sys and no cya from the powder shock and tabs. I would rather add cya on my own when needed. any pros or cons on this sys I would love to hear them

13. Back To Top    #13

SLAM level will be determined by what your CYA level is pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.