Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool build Ohio finally started!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool build Ohio finally started!

We finally started our pool build in NE Ohio. Walls are up and things seem to be on track. I will be posting pictures once we get a bit further along. I've been documenting the process. It's been a long wait, but now that we finally see progress it's been worth it.

Question. They should be done with the pool next week, I don't think the patio will be done until mid week after. Since its almost closing time should we even open this year? Kids are excited and we have a heater, but I'm not sure if we should open to just close it a few weeks later. I wouldn't mind getting experience in the process. But I'm just not sure. PB will open and close first year as part of our contract to walk us through it.

Thoughts? Should we open or just close and open next year?
    Pool: 18000 gal w/ spill over spa Pump: 3HP Intelliflo VS 011018 Booster: 1.5HP Sta-Rite Dyna-Max Filter: 300 sqft Sta-Rite System 3 Heater: Rheem RayPak 399 BTUH Chlorinator: ClevaChlor RP30HD Controller: Jandy iAquaLink RS PS8 PDA Cleaner: Pentair Pool Shark Plumbing: 2"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool build Ohio finally started!

I say we'll be warm into the beginning of October this year in the Northeast, but that's because I just got a pool this summer and want to use it as long as I can! How big is the pool - though if you have a heater, that doesn't matter. My vote is OPEN!
    17' x 30' plaster pool, Intellipro Variable Speed pump, filter that's about to be replaced, 1 skimmer and 2 returns, and that's about all I know about this pool!
    4' ledge all the way around, deep "scoop" about 9' deep - NO DIVING!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I think it would be hard to see it done and not open it at all. It's 18x36. It reminds me of when my parents would buy me a bike or skateboard for Christmas. Here it is .... Now put it in the basement for four months.
    Pool: 18000 gal w/ spill over spa Pump: 3HP Intelliflo VS 011018 Booster: 1.5HP Sta-Rite Dyna-Max Filter: 300 sqft Sta-Rite System 3 Heater: Rheem RayPak 399 BTUH Chlorinator: ClevaChlor RP30HD Controller: Jandy iAquaLink RS PS8 PDA Cleaner: Pentair Pool Shark Plumbing: 2"

4. Back To Top    #4

If you are going to go ahead and fill the pool, then I would keep it open at least until the water temperature drops below 60F and stays there consistently. This will minimize the chance of having a green pool come spring. This article has some suggestions on closing/winterizing an above-ground pool: Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. I'm assuming that we need to fill it at least some since its inground?