Milky cloud

Sep 1, 2013
Topics merged. Please don't multiple post duplicate posts. Bama.

52"
13,000 gallon

Had an algae outbreak. Killed the green algae. Pool has now been milky cloudy for 2 weeks.

Have read pool school. Added tons of shock. Added clarifier. Been vacuuming regularly. Nothing is working. Thinking about blowing the pool up. Any help would be appreciated.

FC: 15
ALK: 180(high, but it has been lower until recently)
pH: 7.8
the: 450

52"
13,000 gallon

Had an algae outbreak. Killed the green algae. Pool has now been milky cloudy for 2 weeks.

Have read pool school. Added tons of shock. Added clarifier. Been vacuuming regularly. Nothing is working. Thinking about blowing the pool up. Any help would be appreciated.

FC: 15
ALK: 180(high, but it has been lower until recently)
pH: 7.8
the: 450

Welcome to TFP.

How did you get those results?
You need a good test kit if you don't already have one.
You also need to read the ABC's of pool chemistry.
Follow the advice you find here and you'll be clear soon.

Butterfly said:
Welcome to the forum :wave:

Here's a list of things we'd like to know to be able to help you best: pool-school/read_before_you_post

A pic of the pool would also help :)

13,000 gallons
AG pool
Cartridge filter, 2hp pump
Installed in May of this year(2013)

Here are the strips I used to get the chem results. I also took a water sample to the pool place and the numbers were about the same.
null_zpsb70208e9.jpg

Here is a few shots of the pool
null_zpsfed2d9f4.jpg

null_zps6b6a2c1e.jpg

One thing that would help you out is getting a good test kit. The TF 100 is the one I use. You can get one at TFtestkits.net. I would also get the XL option. The test strips just aren't up to the job of pool water maintaince.
The pool store isn't much good at it either.
Take a look at this pool-school/shocking_your_pool.

Welcome to TFP !!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
woodyp said:
Are you cleaning the filters every so often unti it clears?
Every couple of days I take the filter out and clean it. The water does not appear to be getting any clearer though. When I vac I see the white particles coming back into the water from the return.

Pump had been running 24/7 also.

Bama Rambler said:
Can you tell us what the ingredients of the "shock" is?
The one I had been using, Shock X-tra from Menards, has sodium dichlo,alkyl and 35% available chlorine.

What I have now is the Walmart Super Select shock by hth. It has Calcium Hypochlorite @ 56.44%.
I've been using this for a few days because I've wiped out the Shock X-tra at Menards.

I'm not sure but the mixing of the two and anything else you added might be contributing to the cloudiness.

If you would consider getting a good test kit and do some reading in pool school we can help fix this for you.

pwrstrk said:
I'm not sure but the mixing of the two and anything else you added might be contributing to the cloudiness.

If you would consider getting a good test kit and do some reading in pool school we can help fix this for you.
I was using the first brand of shock for over a week and the water was the same then as it is now with the brand I'm currently using.

I will buy that test kit for sure but probably not within the next week or so.

There is a link to a good source for a test kit in my signature. Honestly it sounds like you are throwing things at the problem without understanding of what you are adding to your water. These "Shock" products add additional chemicals to the mix. If you invest in the test kit and invest your time in understanding the ABC's of pool water chemistry the savings to your wallet will exceed the cost of the kit.

To clear your water you need to SLAM your pool and in order to do so you need to know your CYA level because chlorine levels required to sanitize and or kill algae are dependent on your cya level. You also need to be able to accurately measure your chlorine level higher than 10 and for this you need the FAS DP test kit.

Smykowski said:
AimeeH said:
If you invest in the test kit and invest your time in understanding the ABC's of pool water chemistry the savings to your wallet will exceed the cost of the kit.
Very well said.

Thanks. I've learned just about everything I know about pool care from hours and hours on this site. Discovered it when my pool was about a month old. I didn't invest in the kit until opening in the second season and now I don't hesitate on the cost of refills etc. I've never been "pool stored" and maintenance is a breeze. Best investment for SAVING money there is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.