Pentair Whisperflo 2 speed pump tripping breaker

Sep 1, 2013
Good morning. I am replacing my old Triton Purex pump with a Pentair Whisperflo 2 speed pump. I ran new wiring from timer to pump (black/red/green) due to age of old wiring and fraying. After hooking to switch inside motor housing (green to ground, black to black (center of switch), red to either yellow or white from switch (outer wires on switch), I get motor working when toggled one way, trips the breaker when toggled the other way. I reversed black and red with same results (as expected). I've looked at side wiring diagram and read various forums to no avail. Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated.

I thought I had seen a wiring diagram from the pump on a previous post here, so I checked again to find it. I found another post with the diagrams ("Wire help for a 2 speed Pentair SuperFlo" wire-help-for-a-2-speed-pentair-superflo-t61513.html) which is the same diagram for my Whisperflo. However, in wiring up as indicated in this post, I trip the breaker when I toggle to high. I pulled new 10 gauge stranded wire instead of the previous solid wire. I am not sure if that makes a difference. Also, where as the low side (black wire of switch) is connected via a wire nut, the high side to common is connected via the terminal block. Is it possible this connection is not solid and causing the problem? Again, thanks for the help.

Kinda hard to understand with all the colors. I just did my own WhisperFlo 2-speed and I can tell you this: the only wire from outside that goes to the switch is one hot lead to the center of the switch. The other hot lead goes to Terminal 1. The yellow and white from the switch should go to 2 and 3. Check this thread out:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/wiring-for-new-whisperflo-dual-speed-motor-t58010.html

When you do it right, you will have 230 V between terminals 1 and 2 with the switch in one position and 1 and 3 with the switch in the other position.

Here is a quick diagram I used to wire my 2-speed pump this week. You should not have anything connected to 2 (High) or 3/4 (Low) if you are using the switch on the pump. The only connections will be to post 1 on the pump terminal and then cut off the wire nut on the black middle wire of the switch, and connect this to your line 2 power. (See Diagram)

Okay, I like this diagram. Looking at the wiring block inside the pump housing, there is no visible wire (certainly no wire from the switch) on post 1. So this is where I should wire the other power wire? I will give this a shot (the only combination I did not try). Thanks!

You will not have a wire from the switch on the pump terminal 1, the wire on post 1 needs to come from the breaker or timer. The other power wire will go to the middle post on the switch, black wire with a wire nut on it from the factory.

Updated Diagram

Attachments

• PumpWiring.jpg
    PumpWiring.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 97

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.