Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Whisperflo 2 speed pump tripping breaker

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Whisperflo 2 speed pump tripping breaker

Good morning. I am replacing my old Triton Purex pump with a Pentair Whisperflo 2 speed pump. I ran new wiring from timer to pump (black/red/green) due to age of old wiring and fraying. After hooking to switch inside motor housing (green to ground, black to black (center of switch), red to either yellow or white from switch (outer wires on switch), I get motor working when toggled one way, trips the breaker when toggled the other way. I reversed black and red with same results (as expected). I've looked at side wiring diagram and read various forums to no avail. Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Whisperflo 2 speed pump tripping breaker

I'm no electrical expert, but it could it be due to the size of the breaker? Is it tripping in the high speed position? Breakers get old and go bad too.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Can you post a picture of the wiring diagram on the side of the motor.
    2013 20x40 Vinyl Ingound Pool. 30K Gallons. Hayward Aqua Rite Chlorine Generator. Hayward C-3030 Cartridge Filter. 1.5 HP Pentair Pump. Pentair Magic Stream II Deck Jets. Pool Automation=Allen-Bradley PLC 5/04. TF-100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

I thought I had seen a wiring diagram from the pump on a previous post here, so I checked again to find it. I found another post with the diagrams ("Wire help for a 2 speed Pentair SuperFlo" wire-help-for-a-2-speed-pentair-superflo-t61513.html) which is the same diagram for my Whisperflo. However, in wiring up as indicated in this post, I trip the breaker when I toggle to high. I pulled new 10 gauge stranded wire instead of the previous solid wire. I am not sure if that makes a difference. Also, where as the low side (black wire of switch) is connected via a wire nut, the high side to common is connected via the terminal block. Is it possible this connection is not solid and causing the problem? Again, thanks for the help.

5. Back To Top    #5

Kinda hard to understand with all the colors. I just did my own WhisperFlo 2-speed and I can tell you this: the only wire from outside that goes to the switch is one hot lead to the center of the switch. The other hot lead goes to Terminal 1. The yellow and white from the switch should go to 2 and 3. Check this thread out:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/wirin...or-t58010.html

When you do it right, you will have 230 V between terminals 1 and 2 with the switch in one position and 1 and 3 with the switch in the other position.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

6. Back To Top    #6

Here is a quick diagram I used to wire my 2-speed pump this week. You should not have anything connected to 2 (High) or 3/4 (Low) if you are using the switch on the pump. The only connections will be to post 1 on the pump terminal and then cut off the wire nut on the black middle wire of the switch, and connect this to your line 2 power. (See Diagram)
    16,000 gallon, 1 hp 2-speed SuperFlo pump, Intellichlor IC40 Salt Chlorine Generator, Pentair Clean & Clear 240 Filter, Mastertemp 250 Heater, Vera Z-Wave home automation, Intermatic CA3750 for pump control

7. Back To Top    #7

Okay, I like this diagram. Looking at the wiring block inside the pump housing, there is no visible wire (certainly no wire from the switch) on post 1. So this is where I should wire the other power wire? I will give this a shot (the only combination I did not try). Thanks!

8. Back To Top    #8

You will not have a wire from the switch on the pump terminal 1, the wire on post 1 needs to come from the breaker or timer. The other power wire will go to the middle post on the switch, black wire with a wire nut on it from the factory.

Updated Diagram
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16,000 gallon, 1 hp 2-speed SuperFlo pump, Intellichlor IC40 Salt Chlorine Generator, Pentair Clean & Clear 240 Filter, Mastertemp 250 Heater, Vera Z-Wave home automation, Intermatic CA3750 for pump control

9. Back To Top    #9

I rewired as per above and it works beautifully now. Thanks for all your help.

10. Back To Top    #10

^^^^ this diagram saved my bacon!
    Brian, Pool newbie in Atlanta, GA. 24k IG vinyl pool, Circupool SI-45 SWG (purchased 3/2014) , Hayward Pro Series Sand filter S220T, Pentair 1hp 2-speed superflow (thanks Jbizzle!), TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Removed -> Hayward 1HP Super pump SP-1607-Z1-M