Need Help/Advice...

twiles said:
Just a quick update:

Ph 7.8-8.2 NOW 7.8 continuing to add pH down to bring down.
FAS/DPD=0 no chlorine (added salt but have not turned on SWG yet)
Sod Chl = 2400 Now 3000 thinking about adding one more bag of salt....according to pool calculator
TA = 370
CH = 360

Planning on picking up some more bleach tomorrow to help chlorine level up.

Please let me know if I should be doing anything additional.

Thanks for all your help!

Twiles
Yes, get the FC up ASAP. That is most important!

High pH as well. Get it down to 7.2 yesterday.

I don't like get sidetracked on TA to early, but yours is extremely high. Have you run TA on your fill water? If that is a good number, you don't want to try running a SWG with that. I may stand to be corrected about running the SWG, but that is really high.

With TA that high, you will have to keep a really tight control on low pH (7.2) to prevent scaling. Bringing pH down will bring TA down at the same time. You can raise pH without affecting TA by aerating; this lets you add more acid to bring both of them down again. Follow this: pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity

When a SWG runs, it will raise pH. A high TA will also cause pH to rise over time. You want to get TA down to 60-80 ppm before turning on the SWG (pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator).

Hello guys,

Well here are the latest numbers:
FC = 1ppm
CC = 1ppm
TC = 2ppm

SC = 3200ppm
CYA = 40ppm
TA = 330
CH = 300
TC using the vials (visual) = pH = 7.8-8.2 category, and Chlorine @ 1ppm

What is the best method for aeration? Not sure how to accomplish this....

Trying to do as you guys suggest.

I appreciate the help!
Twiles

I just re-read this thread and, being blunt, I do not think you understand the importance of chlorine in your pool.

If that was my pool, I would stop whatever I was doing and go get enough chlorine to bring the FC up to about 5 ppm immediately.

What does your water look like?

Regardless, you are going to need a LOT more chlorine so you can start the SLAM process.

You can aerate next week.

duraleigh,

You are correct, I am still learning this stuff. Funny you mention going to get enough chlorine because that is what did earlier today.

Here are current numbers tested at 6pm today
FC = 8ppm
CC = 1ppm
TC = 9ppm
SC=3200ppm
CYA=30ppm
pH=7.5

To answer your question on water color, it is green. I have CYA going in through a sock by the return and I have my SWG running at 60%.

Your thougts?

Twiles

Time to SLAM the pool.

Do you still have CYA being dissolved? If so, tell us how much is remaining (give it your best guess....20%? 50%) as well as what your dosage was. Remove any undissolved CYA and set it in a plastic bucket somewhere....it'll be fine.

We need to figure your CYA level just a bit closer and then you can start to SLAM.

You will need a LOT of chlorine and I would suggest you turn off your SWG once you start the process.

Report back enough info so we can calculate your current CYA.

duraleigh,

Here are the numbers I got this morning at 7:30am
FC = 6.5
CC = .5
SC = 3200
CYA = 50
TA = 330
pH = 7.8

I added 2 pints of muratic acid to try and get the TA down some. I am also aerating the pool.

To answer your questions:
1. Do you still have CYA being dissolved? Yes, I have put 1 4lb bucket in over the past week, and started a second, the second 4lb bucket is still pretty much full maybe 80%, I had taken a couple of scoops out of it into a sock. It is now out of the pool as you recommended.

2. Ok, what can I do to give you more information on the CYA?
3. How much chlorine should I get? I currently have 4 or 5 bottles of bleach....

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!

Twiles

Don't focus on TA for now. Focus on pH with Acid additions.

I would reduce it a little more and shoot for 7.4. Use the Pool Calculator. Check the dose there and measure carefully.

1. Good on that.

2. Tell us how much is left in the sock and bucket if any. Is this the only bucket you have used? Let it ride, don't add more for the moment.

3. Go ahead and grab 8 more at least.

You want to begin the SLAM process now if you think that 50 CYA is pretty close. Use the Pool Calculator to get the dosage up to SLAM level for your last CYA. Head out for Bleach, and from here, don't let the FC fall below SLAM level if you can help it.

Pool Calculator>>>> http://www.poolcalculator.com/

You want to elevate FC and hold it there as best you can until this is done.

1. Very good. You will have to SLAM according to a bit higher CYA than is ideal but it's no biggie.

2. CYA takes a while to register on the CYA test. I suspect you will come in around 60 CYA if you test tomorrow

3. Add enough muriatic to bring your pH down to 7.2. Even though that will also bring TA down some, please ignore TA for now. Just get your pH down to 7.2.

4. I would get at least 10 MORE large jugs of bleach. You may not need it all (but you may) and is easy to use up for regular chlorination.

EDIT: brushpup and I are saying almost the same thing except I believe your CYA will test at 60 ppm or so tomorrow so I would like to see you use that value when you start the SLAM. That'll be 24 ppm of chlorine and it will be your job to test often and add enough to get it back to 24.

Follow the SLAM article precisely.....many, many do not and they fail the process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
duraleigh, brushpup,

Ok, so I went and did a quick check on the pH and FC/CC.
pH = 7.5
FC = 8
CC = 0

So, I want to make sure I understand. I have read the slamming process and the FC Loss Test. I plan to do the following:

I will turn off the SWG and then,
1. Get the pH down to 7.2. I plan to add 31oz of muraitic acid according to the pool calculator.
1A. Add enough chlorine to get FC to 24ppm. According to pool calculator that is 507oz.
2. test CC to ensure it is zero which I am ok see above.
3. pass the FC loss test
4. continue till water is clear
5 add chlorine frequently to keep it FC @ 24ppm
6. REPEAT 3,4,5 until all are satisfied
7. Brush pool daily, vacuum as needed.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks for your help!

I will keep you posted....

Twiles

Modify it like this.....

I will turn off the SWG and then,

1. Get the pH down to 7.2. I plan to add 31oz of muraitic acid according to the pool calculator. Yes

1A. Add enough chlorine to get FC to 24ppm. According to pool calculator that is 507oz. Yes

1B. add chlorine frequently to keep it FC @ 24ppm Yes

2. test CC to ensure it is zero which I am ok see above. No need to perform the CC's test until the morning you pass the OCLT. Also, .5 CC is treated as if it is zero.

3. pass the FC loss test Your water should be clear before you attempt the OCLT

7. Brush pool daily, vacuum as needed. Yes

Thanks duraleigh and smykowski...

I should have noted and addressed the CC/OCLT testing.

Twiles, they are saying no on the OCLT because you can't pass it right now, and you will have CC until you are done with the SLAM.

duraleigh, Brushpup,

Thanks for all the help! I started the SLAM process today. Currently I have the FC around 28 (it crept up on me from earlier in the day) and the pH is around 7.4 to 7.5. Should I keep trying to get the pH back down with the m.acid? It seem to creep up me as well.

Your thoughts?

twiles

Guys,

I tested the water this morning around 5am before leaving for work. FC is 26 and water is still green (using flash light to inspect water color).

Just so I can better understand:
1. How much of a drop in FC should one expect overnight?
2. How long before I should start to see a difference in the water clarity?

Just trying to learn all I can.

Thanks again for the help!

Twiles

The last FC you mention was 28. I actually would have expected more drop with a green pool.

There is no set amount, every pool/situation is different.
Sorry, but there is no way to tell you that. It may be several days. Maybe less, maybe not.

Just stay the course and do all you can not to let the FC drop below SLAM level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.