I am new to the forum (kinda)....been snooping around and reading off and on for a year or so. However this is my first post.
About 6 weeks ago I purchased a 30' diameter 4' deep in-ground pool from Medallion Pools in Virgina. I have been busy installing it with help of my 9 and 10 year boys. It has been a fun project so far. I have the pool up and it is being topped off with water as I type (need another 2 or 3 inches and it will be full. For filtration I am using an annode, Pentair SD40 Sand filter and Pentair SWG.
I am filling the pool with well water that definitely has rust in it. So the water is brown and I have add a 32oz bottle (16oz per 10000 gallons of water) of the stuff that causes it to fall to the bottom of the pool. I calculated my water volume to be roughly 21,100 gallons. I have not started the pump yet nor have I put any salt in the water. Also, the SWG is not electrically hooked up yet (that happens Monday).
I received test strips from the pool company that check Total Hardness, pH, Alkalinity, Total Chlorine, Bromine/Free Chlorine. I have ordered a test kit from TFTestkits.net based on the advice from this forum. Hopefully it will be here this week (I should have ordered it sooner). Anyway, being brand new to the pool ownership business I am not sure how to proceed from here.
1. Back wash the filter first to remove any construction debris in the plumbing?
2. Should I vacuum the rust particles off the pool floor first?
3. I have taken some initial readings using the strips and here is what I can see: TH around 250, pH around 7.4, Alkalinity around 240, Chlorine is obviously zero.
4. Do I shock it? If so how do I do this (chemicals, quantity, etc.)?
5. I guess ultimately I am not sure how or where to start meaning what chemicals to add, steps to take, etc.
Chemicals - I have another bottle of the stuff that causes the rust to fall to the bottom of the pool, a bottle of Stabilizer, and a bottle of pH down.
Pool Location - Northern Indiana
Temp - around 85 degrees (guessing) still have to get therm.
I know all of you get asked the same questions all the time so I apologize if there are duplicates in my post.
I will post some pics soon....
I appreciate any help or guidance that you can provide.