Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rising ph problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Rising ph problem

Mod edit: Please start you own thread, so we can give you advice specific to your pool. Thanks, moderator linen

I wonder if someone can explain why aeration raises the pH. Is the the higher level of oxygen the water now sees? Thanks.

BTW, i also have a rising pH problem, but no aerators and no kids, so it's not clear why. I put in a gallon of 12% each day to keep the chlorine at 4-5 ppm. Doesn't bleach have a pH of about 13, so wouldn't this tend to raise the pool's pH?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rising ph problem

Quote Originally Posted by wam525
    I wonder if someone can explain why aeration raises the pH. Is the the higher level of oxygen the water now sees? Thanks.
    My basic understanding is the increased surface area caused by aeration will increase the carbon dioxide outgassing. Carbon dioxide takes the form of carbonic acid when dissolved in water, so the effect of carbon dioxide outgassing is a reduction in the amount of carbonic acid in the water and a net increase in ph.

Quote Originally Posted by wam525
    Doesn't bleach have a pH of about 13, so wouldn't this tend to raise the pool's pH?
    The net effect of adding bleach/liquid chlorine to a pool should be close to ph neutral. Yes, the addition of bleach raises the ph, but when it gets used up this is an acidic process, hence the ph neutral effects of adding it. Some cheaper bleaches and higher concentration bleaches/liquid chlorines have extra lye in them that can also raise the ph.

Post a full set of test numbers and we can help you diagnose why your ph is going up.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.