Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool sweep suggestion

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool sweep suggestion

I am having a new pool installed (roughly 35x9' rectangle, with a "shamo" shelf attached at one end/side, 12,000 gal). I have 6 returns specified (3 near bottom of pool to pipe heated water to bottom, 1 at each end to create a circulation, and 1 90 degree pointed at my "shamo shelf"; I'll have one skimmer). I live in CA, so I have to program my pump to not go over 36 gpm. All lines will be 2", the filter will be a 320 sq ft Pentair. There will be tree leaves in the pool at certain times of the year (a tree is near the pool).

The pool builder is recommending adding a (separate) return for a Polaris 360 sweep, as that model wouldn't require a booster pump. We need to decide to do this or use a robotic cleaner. Would a Polaris work? My current electrical rates are 31 cents/Kwh, so I want the option that uses the least amount of electrical power. Note that no plumbing has been done, so "anything" is possible at this point.

Thanks,

mark
    ~12000 gallon gunite pool, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Pentair 320 SF cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400 NG heater
    Pentair Easytouch, NATURE2 PROFESSIONAL "G", Pentair 320 auto clorinator, UV

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool sweep suggestion

Welcome to the Forum!

A pressure side cleaner with a booster pump to run will be handy with leaf debris. I will have a lot myself and I am going with one for sure.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Would a Polaris work?
    Most pool cleaners work to some degree or another. I have heard good things on the forum about the 360 but have no personal experience.

For your size pool (you pay for cleaning power) a 360 would be about the right size. I personally prefer a robot over a pressure side cleaner if you decide to spend the extra money over the 360.

It boils down to some personal choices that will require some reading and learning.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup
    Welcome to the Forum!

A pressure side cleaner with a booster pump to run will be handy with leaf debris. I will have a lot myself and I am going with one for sure.
    The question is, then, which draws more power: a booster pump or a robot. I see that a "Dolphin Premier" robot draws 180W and recommends 2.5 hours (so 450W per day). I can't seem to find an equivalent data sheet for booster pumps.
    ~12000 gallon gunite pool, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Pentair 320 SF cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400 NG heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Booster pumps are 3/4 hp so they draw about 1500 watts.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Booster pumps are 3/4 hp so they draw about 1500 watts.
    So for a new pool (where I have a choice of what to start with), a pool sweep that requires a booster bump would use significantly more energy than a robot (which draws 180W).

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

So for a new pool (where I have a choice of what to start with), a pool sweep that requires a booster bump would use significantly more energy than a robot (which draws 180W).
    Correct.
    Dave S.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

However, you then have to calculate how much "work" a 180 watt robot will do in an hour compared to a 1500 watt booster cleaner. It will be impossible for you to quantify exactly what savings you would experience.....there are simply way too many variables.

I personally like robots but I have a fairly large pool and they need to run for hours daily to keep my pool clean. You will have a different set of circumstances and will have to use some common sense and familiarization with the characteristics of each cleaner and then make your best decision.
    Dave S.

9. Back To Top    #9

I have used Polaris 360's for over 15 yrs in three different pools two in Virginia and now on St Croix. I just opened my pool in the VI's and would not do without a Polaris 360. I would add a small filter to catch some the debris you might collect through the return pipe. I used 1' 1/2" line and it works like a charm at 15 PSI.
    Order a few of the most frequently replaced spare parts.
    Hoorah for polaris!!
    Marbelite 13K gal pool in Rain Forest St. Croix USVI (opened 08/04/13)
    Hayward 2030 cartr filter (225sqft) Hayward skimmers
    Lorenz Solar powered pump 4 Ecogreen PV panels 245W ea w A/C back up Polaris 360 cleaner w separate filter
    Location is 17deg 47' N Water Temp 82-86deg Ambient temp 75-90deg Rain Fall 60-90"/yr Altitude 615Ft ASL Sun Solar Exposure 11:34 to 12:25hrs/day

10. Back To Top    #10

Several people on the forum have used ThePoolCleaner with a VS pump with success. These cleaners use less flow rate (and thus less energy) than most other cleaners.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

This is exactly what I did in three pools, a separate return line with a separate Jandy valve and a small filter. I can control how much pressure the Polaris 360 will receive (typically 15psi) and it works great. I am super pleased with Polaris.
    Marbelite 13K gal pool in Rain Forest St. Croix USVI (opened 08/04/13)
    Hayward 2030 cartr filter (225sqft) Hayward skimmers
    Lorenz Solar powered pump 4 Ecogreen PV panels 245W ea w A/C back up Polaris 360 cleaner w separate filter
    Location is 17deg 47' N Water Temp 82-86deg Ambient temp 75-90deg Rain Fall 60-90"/yr Altitude 615Ft ASL Sun Solar Exposure 11:34 to 12:25hrs/day