Stray current???

Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS) has approximately 50VDC on the pair. There are some services that can put up to 130VDC - 190VDC on the pair (total reach ISDN), but that's about as high as we go, and if you or your neighbor doesn't have such an animal, then you're back to 50VDC. There can be induced AC on the line, too, although we do take steps to mitigate this as much as possible.

ideliver said:
I had the electrician out today. Today there is 1.5 V on the pool.

Pulled the meter on my house...1.5 V on the pool.

Called out the power company....he killed the transformer (and killed power to 8 houses)...1.5 V on the pool....

As I am on the last house on my transformer...he pulled the my neighbors meter (he wouldn't kill the next transformer)...still 1.5 V on the pool...

We did not killed the people behind me...our lots are 285 ft deep.

He is going to get the power company engineer to decide what to do next...

He thinks it is the phone company (but the cable is also a possibility)..says the phone lines can carry up to 80 to 90 volts... :shock:

Crazy... :hammer:

Are they missing something, like a power line that doesn't exist on any plot map or utility map...I had a problem like that with my house with a sewar line...had water backed up in the basement, and the sewar department could not see where the sewar was backed up, because they didn't know there was an old sewar that my house was connected to...Is this old land or newly developed land...Could there be old electrical lines that no one knows about?

Pulling the meter will isolate the 2 energized lines coming in from the power company. At this point, you are still not completely isolated from them. The third line coming in from the power company is your neutral. It can also carry current and is terminated in your meter panel.

When they pulled the meter, did they also disconnect their neutral from the panel? If not, you weren't totally isolated from the power company, transformer de-energized or not.

The saga continues...my pool ladder had lost its connection to the bond and that explained the shock when grabbing the ladder...the pool deck (which is was not connected to the bond) was built to our local code in 2001 (the PB now bonds the rebar) and was putting out about 7 volts...

The electric company agreed late last year to put a "neutral filter" (IIRC) on my transformer which cut the voltage to about 5...however, I am the last house on my transformer...I asked them to do the same for the next transformer and they refused...I'll try again...

So...its a combination of an unbonded deck and leakage from the transformers...thanks for all of the help

The only problem is that this requires a LONG explanation for guests

ideliver said:
The saga continues...my pool ladder had lost its connection to the bond and that explained the shock when grabbing the ladder...the pool deck (which is was not connected to the bond) was built to our local code in 2001 (the PB now bonds the rebar) and was putting out about 7 volts...

The electric company agreed late last year to put a "neutral filter" (IIRC) on my transformer which cut the voltage to about 5...however, I am the last house on my transformer...I asked them to do the same for the next transformer and they refused...I'll try again...

So...its a combination of an unbonded deck and leakage from the transformers...thanks for all of the help

The only problem is that this requires a LONG explanation for guests

Just post a sign!!! You could put a cool sign with lighting bolts on it...that'll catch people's attention. :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.