Algae into Cloudy

aonis

Apr 22, 2013
Florida
I came to my mothers house in Florida and she had a nice clear pool. After a week with our kids and people in it everyday it had an Algae bloom. I went to a pool store and had it tested (I apologize for not having exact numbers) and they said our CYA was around 150, which was very high.

I did the following.

- Removed the stabilizer tablets from the pool. (My mother puts one tablet in per week since her chlorinator cell died last year and she shocks it once a week) In theory, the stabilizer just built up over time and she didn't test it enough to notice it creeping up.

- then we poured 5 gallons of chlorine in, to give it a good shock.

- we also lowered the water level and began diluting the CYA, which is currently at 90.

- I've continued to shock it regularly

- I used Floc and vacuumed to waste. (the day after I used Floc, it was crystal clear until while I was vacuuming to waste I saw some algae coming out of the jets :(

- I clean the filter everyday (It's a cartridge filter)

I tested it today at the pool center and they said all the numbers looked good and healthy (again sorry for not having them, my mother got it tested)

But my pool still looks like this (photo attached)

PLEASE HELP!
qskQlpn.jpg

Without any valid test results it makes it hard to help, plus we really don't trust the pool stores testing.

You might want to look into getting yourself a good test kit. You can get one here TFtestkits.net. The TF100 with the XL option is the best value, and the one I use.

While waiting on this test kit, I went to the pool supply store an asked for a new test and all the numbers as well. They were dubious about internet forums (and something about south florida being a unique pool environment), but then again I'm dubious about them! Here is what they provided me:

FC - 5+
CYA - 90
PH - 7.6
TA - 90

*** I went to clean my cartridge filter after cleaning it 2 days ago and it was dark green! So it seems like algae is still blooming rampantly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.