I came to my mothers house in Florida and she had a nice clear pool. After a week with our kids and people in it everyday it had an Algae bloom. I went to a pool store and had it tested (I apologize for not having exact numbers) and they said our CYA was around 150, which was very high.
I did the following.
- Removed the stabilizer tablets from the pool. (My mother puts one tablet in per week since her chlorinator cell died last year and she shocks it once a week) In theory, the stabilizer just built up over time and she didn't test it enough to notice it creeping up.
- then we poured 5 gallons of chlorine in, to give it a good shock.
- we also lowered the water level and began diluting the CYA, which is currently at 90.
- I've continued to shock it regularly
- I used Floc and vacuumed to waste. (the day after I used Floc, it was crystal clear until while I was vacuuming to waste I saw some algae coming out of the jets
- I clean the filter everyday (It's a cartridge filter)
I tested it today at the pool center and they said all the numbers looked good and healthy (again sorry for not having them, my mother got it tested)
But my pool still looks like this (photo attached)