Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine fine, but says low salt?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine fine, but says low salt?

Last night while swimming the Salt water Generator came on, without the pump grandson had touched some of the buttons while outside ... I looked and it had a red light saying low salt, got out and turned everything off...then reset the pump and salt water generator to restart and run on the timer. The low salt light did not come on this time.
    So this morning I tested the the clorine , first on the way to the barn with a test strip, it showed , chlorine down around 1.5 ppm, also ph was up a bit , so I came back, retested clorine and added ph down with pump running. The chlorine on the drop test showed 3-5 ppm. I did a Salt test strip and it showed 16-1700 ppm, when a couple weeks ago it showed 3300-4000 ppm 3X when tested.
    So who do I believe? Cavet. We opened pool in July. We added the right amount of salt, a little bit extra actually. We have backwashed and drained some off after rains,half a dozen times. Also when we got new sandfilter we dropped water level below skimmer.....
    AG proseries 22ft. round. 52". 11400 gal.Intex SWG.2000 gh/2650 gph,sand filter intex/ Hayward Aquabug vac. well.Ga. t-50 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Long Beach, CA

Re: Chlorine fine, but says low salt?

Seems like you have lost enough salt that it needs to be replaced. Some SWG's work down to around 2000 ppm for the salt but ideal is 3000 ppm. I would add enough salt to raise it to 2500 ppm and see if the SWG responds to it. If it works, then retest and add enough salt for 3000-3500 ppm.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process