Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: New suction cleaner recommendations for pebbletec surface?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Florida
    Posts
    90

    New suction cleaner recommendations for pebbletec surface?

    Since we have resurfaced our pool surface to pebbletec finish, our Zodiac MX8 simply isn't cutting it. We have already received a replacement head and even with flowmeter at 3.5, it still would not climb up the walls like it used to do. We could live with this, but the worst thing about this now is that our MX8 is completely unable to roll over our new "safe" pool drain cover which looks exactly like this http://www.swimming-pool-information.co ... -drain.jpg .. the cleaner simply gets stuck over drain cover. Unacceptable in our opinion, we don't want to keep tagging at the hose to get it unstuck.

    So now, we're looking for quick recommendations for a new cleaner for our pool. A couple of details about our pool:

    1) PebbleTec finish surface
    2) salt water pool (with SWG)
    3) Our pool is inside a screened enclosure, so there's no big leaves or anything like that. Mostly, what our cleaners pick up are a few dead insects (that made it through the screens somehow), particles coming in from outside enclosure (like tree/plant debris).
    4) Suction cleaner (something that depends on our existing pool pump as a source of energy)

    I think I've seen a cleaner that cleans both bottom of pool and also at top of pool, alternating between those modes.. are they any good?
    Florida-style enclosure (lanai) housing 18,000-gallon outdoor in-ground salt pool/spa, PeebleTec finish. Spa water waterfalls into pool. Hayward model 17502 cartridge filter system, Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar Variable-Speed Pool Pump. One skimmer, Baracuda Zodiac MX-8 cleaner. Palm Harbor, Florida

  2. Back To Top    #2

    In the Industry
    poolsupplysales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tulare, CA
    Posts
    112

    Re: New suction cleaner recommendations for pebbletec surfac

    The mx8 only needs 2-2.5 lbs of vacuum try giving less vacuum first. If this does not work the one the does top and bottom is made by Hayward but is obsolete due to the fact the did not work well and had a lot of mechanical issues. The Hayward navigator has been around for along time and has proven to be a good cleaner. The robotic cleaners are the latest trend and do a good job they are put in the pool as needed then removed when done. The robotic cleaner plugs into 110v and has a transformer to reduce to 24v no pump required. Check out the Polaris 9100

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Florida
    Posts
    90

    Re: New suction cleaner recommendations for pebbletec surfac

    Quote Originally Posted by poolsupplysales
    The mx8 only needs 2-2.5 lbs of vacuum try giving less vacuum first. If this does not work the one the does top and bottom is made by Hayward but is obsolete due to the fact the did not work well and had a lot of mechanical issues. The Hayward navigator has been around for along time and has proven to be a good cleaner. The robotic cleaners are the latest trend and do a good job they are put in the pool as needed then removed when done. The robotic cleaner plugs into 110v and has a transformer to reduce to 24v no pump required. Check out the Polaris 9100
    Hi, thanks for responding.

    I'm not following - manual recommends 3.5, and how would reducing to 2-2.5 help? If we do that (go down to 2-2.5, which we assuredly have done tested), the MX8 will perform even worse.

    We got a replacement MX8 from Zodiac, and performance is the same, no improvement. Apparently, peebletec surface seems to be worlds different for our MX8 cleaner, when we resurfaced from regular plaster to peebletec. Plus, we have new safety drain, which the MX8 would simply not roll over.

    Thanks for suggesting Navigator and Polaris 9100. Will check those out
    Florida-style enclosure (lanai) housing 18,000-gallon outdoor in-ground salt pool/spa, PeebleTec finish. Spa water waterfalls into pool. Hayward model 17502 cartridge filter system, Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar Variable-Speed Pool Pump. One skimmer, Baracuda Zodiac MX-8 cleaner. Palm Harbor, Florida

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    155

    Re: New suction cleaner recommendations for pebbletec surfac

    We have pebbletec pool with SWG and been using Kreepy Krauly (with star fish seal) for over 10-yrs without any problem .....well, until now which I haven't figured out yet but I am sure it has nothing to do with the surface type. The problem now is all of a sudden it slows down quite a bit (have been running with low speed pump). I changed out new parts and even a brand new unit and still no improvement but the strange thing is when it's on the wall, it runs like normal. Cleaning the filter didn't help either.
    35k Gallon, 2 In Piping, Aquarite, KK, Spa, Water Fall.

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Valrico, FL
    Posts
    536

    Re: New suction cleaner recommendations for pebbletec surfac

    I am using a Great White in my PebbleTec pool. Been working for three years.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Florida
    Posts
    90

    Re: New suction cleaner recommendations for pebbletec surfac

    Quote Originally Posted by amati5
    We have pebbletec pool with SWG and been using Kreepy Krauly (with star fish seal) for over 10-yrs without any problem .....well, until now which I haven't figured out yet but I am sure it has nothing to do with the surface type. The problem now is all of a sudden it slows down quite a bit (have been running with low speed pump). I changed out new parts and even a brand new unit and still no improvement but the strange thing is when it's on the wall, it runs like normal. Cleaning the filter didn't help either.

    Do you mind linking me to the product you have? I see there's various models for Kreepy Krauly series. I'm eyeing the classic one, but curious what you have.

    Why the star fish choice? Does it work better on peebletec surfaces, or is that just what you bought?

    Thanks
    Florida-style enclosure (lanai) housing 18,000-gallon outdoor in-ground salt pool/spa, PeebleTec finish. Spa water waterfalls into pool. Hayward model 17502 cartridge filter system, Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar Variable-Speed Pool Pump. One skimmer, Baracuda Zodiac MX-8 cleaner. Palm Harbor, Florida

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Florida
    Posts
    90

    Re: New suction cleaner recommendations for pebbletec surfac

    Quote Originally Posted by dschlic1
    I am using a Great White in my PebbleTec pool. Been working for three years.
    Looked that up. Interesting, bristle brush design on bottom. In the 3 years you have been using it, does any of those bristles get loose and become free?
    Florida-style enclosure (lanai) housing 18,000-gallon outdoor in-ground salt pool/spa, PeebleTec finish. Spa water waterfalls into pool. Hayward model 17502 cartridge filter system, Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar Variable-Speed Pool Pump. One skimmer, Baracuda Zodiac MX-8 cleaner. Palm Harbor, Florida

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    155

    Re: New suction cleaner recommendations for pebbletec surfac

    Quote Originally Posted by cflannagan
    Quote Originally Posted by amati5
    We have pebbletec pool with SWG and been using Kreepy Krauly (with star fish seal) for over 10-yrs without any problem .....well, until now which I haven't figured out yet but I am sure it has nothing to do with the surface type. The problem now is all of a sudden it slows down quite a bit (have been running with low speed pump). I changed out new parts and even a brand new unit and still no improvement but the strange thing is when it's on the wall, it runs like normal. Cleaning the filter didn't help either.

    Do you mind linking me to the product you have? I see there's various models for Kreepy Krauly series. I'm eyeing the classic one, but curious what you have.

    Why the star fish choice? Does it work better on peebletec surfaces, or is that just what you bought?

    Thanks
    Here is the manufacturer link: http://pentairpool.com/pool-owner/produ ... sic-83.htm

    I think the starfish seal is more durable than the one with pleats because of the the hard surface. When you search, the K70400 is the starfish and the K70405 is the one with pleats.

    While you're on there, check the rebate too, $100. It ends somewhere in September. You should buy it from an authorized dealer. I bought mine from A1superldeals (or something like that) on Ebay for around $295 (before rebate) and that's the cheapest I found. They even mentioned about the rebate. Amazon sells them too for a little more but no mention of the rebate. I know my purchase is ligit because I check the status online on Pentair web site and it's confirmed and being processed.

    Edit: Looks like they extened the date to Dec but reduced the rebate to $50.
    35k Gallon, 2 In Piping, Aquarite, KK, Spa, Water Fall.

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Florida
    Posts
    90

    Re: New suction cleaner recommendations for pebbletec surfac

    Quote Originally Posted by amati5
    Quote Originally Posted by cflannagan
    Quote Originally Posted by amati5
    We have pebbletec pool with SWG and been using Kreepy Krauly (with star fish seal) for over 10-yrs without any problem .....well, until now which I haven't figured out yet but I am sure it has nothing to do with the surface type. The problem now is all of a sudden it slows down quite a bit (have been running with low speed pump). I changed out new parts and even a brand new unit and still no improvement but the strange thing is when it's on the wall, it runs like normal. Cleaning the filter didn't help either.

    Do you mind linking me to the product you have? I see there's various models for Kreepy Krauly series. I'm eyeing the classic one, but curious what you have.

    Why the star fish choice? Does it work better on peebletec surfaces, or is that just what you bought?

    Thanks
    Here is the manufacturer link: http://pentairpool.com/pool-owner/produ ... sic-83.htm

    I think the starfish seal is more durable than the one with pleats because of the the hard surface. When you search, the K70400 is the starfish and the K70405 is the one with pleats.

    While you're on there, check the rebate too, $100. It ends somewhere in September. You should buy it from an authorized dealer. I bought mine from A1superldeals (or something like that) on Ebay for around $295 (before rebate) and that's the cheapest I found. They even mentioned about the rebate. Amazon sells them too for a little more but no mention of the rebate. I know my purchase is ligit because I check the status online on Pentair web site and it's confirmed and being processed.

    Edit: Looks like they extened the date to Dec but reduced the rebate to $50.
    I found the seller on ebay. Free shipping. Thanks! It's $309 now but it's cheaper than Amazon. Will compare with my local pool stores (see if they can bring the price down to match the eBay price but wouldn't count on that).

    I do see it's $50 rebate now, but when I did a "test run" with their online rebate form submission, it still says $100 for Kreepy Krauly Classic. Maybe I can try that route and see how they handle it.

    You had no issues doing rebate submission for something bought off ebay instead of a store, bricks&mortar or internet?
    Florida-style enclosure (lanai) housing 18,000-gallon outdoor in-ground salt pool/spa, PeebleTec finish. Spa water waterfalls into pool. Hayward model 17502 cartridge filter system, Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar Variable-Speed Pool Pump. One skimmer, Baracuda Zodiac MX-8 cleaner. Palm Harbor, Florida

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    155

    Re: New suction cleaner recommendations for pebbletec surfac

    Nup. Got Visa card Friday. You can submit online the rebate but have to send in the receipt by mail. I didn't like the idea of the form and receipt to separated so I sent both together. Once you sent them, they send u a confirmation email with a code to check the status.
    35k Gallon, 2 In Piping, Aquarite, KK, Spa, Water Fall.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •