New pool owner trying to get water right - how's this sound?

Aug 30, 2013
Richmond, VA
I bought a house with pool (see sig) two weeks ago and the owner left me a mess - sticks, leaves, and green algae from a big storm the week before.

I spent the first week stumbling around using test strips that he'd left, and did at least manage to get the water clear and the strips looking right. I then took a sample to a pool store to verify and found out my CYA was 167! I've since learned here that was because the previous owner used trichlor tablets, and told me he dropped in a bag of trichlor shock once a week too.

The store's recommendation to drain down to the bottom of the skimmer then refill to the top repeatedly wasn't dropping the CYA level fast enough for me - only down to 149 after four or five repetitions - so I Google'd for a better way and found this site. What a great forum!

I quickly ordered a TF-100 kit and it showed my CYA at about 140. I drained about 75% of the water out...which I think was more than what poolcalculator.com directed, but I wanted to wind up with CYA too low rather than risk still too high...and refilled. I tested tonight afterward and here are my numbers:

FC: 3
CC: 0.5
pH: 7.5
TA: 90
CH: 80
CYA: 35

The pool gets no shade all day, so I think I may end up wanting to go for 60-80ppm CYA, but for now I decided to go for 50. So, tonight I used poolcalculator.com and added 27oz by volume 100% CYA to raise it by 15ppm to 50. I checked the chart and it said a FC of 6 for CYA of 50, so I also added 7oz by volume of 78% cal-hypo that the pool store had sold me to raise the FC from 3 to 6. I'm letting the pump run on high overnight to hopefully mix everything up well.

Assuming the pH and TA are still good tomorrow morning, I'm planning to add 760oz by weight of borax and 365oz of 31.45% muriatic acid tomorrow to bring my borate from 0 to 50. Or maybe it'll be less acid, since I think the CYA I added will lower the pH some, right? I ordered the LaMotte borate test strips with my TF100 kit. Oh, I better test first to make sure there's no borate in there already.

I've read a lot of posts here and think I've got a decent handle on it, but does this all sound right? The 80ppm CH is fine for an AG vinyl pool, right?

Re: New pool owner trying to get water right - how's this so

Welcome :wave:

Usually, the first post of folks in your situation results in three recommendations. 1. Order a good test kit 2. Read Pool School 3. Do a partial drain/refill because your CYA is too high.

Since you've already done that.....you are well on your way to pool happiness.

Just a few thoughts. Don't get too obessed over the whole borate thing. If I were you, I would take some time, learn how your pool behaves for the rest of the season and then borate next spring. As I'm sure you are aware, the Borax component of BBB is really there for raising pH. It just so happens there are secondary benefits if you intentionally add borates to 50 ppm. Don't feel compelled that you HAVE to do it in order to be successful here. Just my $.02 :crazy:

As far as the rest of the stuff goes:

1. The stabilizer you added will slightly lower your pH but not anything to worry about.
2. A CH of 80 is fine for vinyl. Your only concern will be the potential for scaling if it ever gets too high. Since we are on that topic....was there a specific reason that you were using cal-hypo? Do you plan on using bleach as your primary source for chlorine from here on out?

:goodjob: Go enjoy your pool!

I have 50 ppm borates in my pool. But, the reason I did it is to help with the constant pH rise from the SWG. Borates help stabilize the pH. If you don't have that problem there is little reason to borate.

Welcome to TFP Jesseosby!

You are certainly on the right track. The CYA addition will do very little to your pH as 1017 said above. Borates are up to you, but just know the thing we call BBB around here is really more of a philosophy of understanding the purpose and effects of the chemicals we put in our pools. Looks like you are doing well with that already. Enjoy your time on the forum.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Having already increased CYA to 50, you should keep FC between 4 and 8 and never below 4.

Do you plan to use bleach/liquid chlorine for sanitizer for your pool?

I suggest that you wait a couple weeks on the decision to add borates. For one thing, the TA is higher than recommended for adding borates, and, most of us do not use them. I recommended more reading on this subject first. This will also give you time to get to know your pool's personality.

You are off to a great start :goodjob:

Thanks for all the quick replies!

I did kind of pick up on that the borate in BBB isn't mandatory, but it didn't sound like there were really any downsides, and I went to four stores last night to get enough borax and muriatic acid, so I might as well do it because I don't want to drive all over again to return it all :) I also liked what I read about it improving the look and feel of the water.

I decided to use the cal-hypo just because I had it from the pool store selling it to me, and I knew my calcium level was low enough that adding some would be ok. I did buy a jug of 8.23% plain bleach at Wal-Mart last night to use for chlorinating from here on out.

The water was very clear this morning. I tested most of the levels and got this:

FC: 7.5
CC: 0
pH: 7.2
TA: 90
CYA: 40

I'm guessing the CYA didn't go up as much as expected because I added powdered CYA and I read it takes as much as a week to fully register?

Pick up some more bleach, you will certainly need it soon.

If all your CYA dissolved, give it a few days at minimum before retesting.

The look and feel of Borates seems very subjective. Some notice it and love it, some don't notice or feel that much difference. Like me. Enjoy your pool and let us know how it's going.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.